PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 6' Jointer Question

Greg Scull
04-15-2011, 12:29 AM
My new to me ridgid bandsaw was kinda lonely so today I found this guy to keep it company.

This is a JP06000 Jointer. When I picked it up I was a little hesitant because the motor didn't spin right up. The seller plugged it in and it took a second to begin spinning, i shut off and checked for obstructions and then tried again. It then spun up and sounded ok. I paid 75$ for it and got it but am wondering if the motor is something I need to worry about.

When I got home I tried again and it seemed much more responsive.

I made a video to see if this is what it should sound like? I haven't had a chance to tune it up yet so i didn't try to use it yet.

is it normal for motors after sitting for a long time to resist starting?

Completely anticlimactic video footage of the motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZtK9J12UiY

Greg Scull
04-17-2011, 10:39 AM
well yesterday answered that question. I got the table and fence cleaned and removed the rust, waxed and adjusted it up. It does need some new blades so I ordered the Freud c400 replacements. The motor sounds a lot less powerful than it is.
I ran some doug fir 8' length boards across it with no hesitations. FINALLY I have a jointer that is worth using!

Joseph Tarantino
04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
and you have one that has a lifetime guaranty. those gray models were bult by emerson electric and unlike the newer ones that are lsa eligible, their liftime guaranty attaches to the tool and is independent of ownership. i have a newer one than yours (open stand) and it has done everything i've asked it to do. great deal @ $75. here's your first : you suck!

Paul Symchych
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Greg, I have one that looks -and sounds- identical to yours. It has never given me a moment of concern from day one and does everything I've asked of it. Even buying new [on sale] I think it was a great deal. Your price was sensational.

Greg Scull
04-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Your price was sensational.
It is crazy. Really i'm still kinda in shock. I kept expecting something major to be wrong with it. After spending a year and owning 3 other jointers its pretty sweet to be done with this tool for a while.

The strangest part, it was on CL for like 5 days. I had just bought a HF older model a week or so ago and didn't want to have to deal with getting another, but the ridgid just kept begging me to email. I emailed and it was still there which meant, of course, I had to go get it.

Now I need to find a home for the HF 6" model :)