PDA

View Full Version : Humming Bird Feeder

Greg Just
04-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Here is my latest hummingbird feeder. It is a gift for my brother in law. I traced the bird and flowers on before burning. The design on the roof is burning in too.

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice Greg. I am sure your BIL will love it. Today my wife and I were talking about getting the feeders out. I have been thinking of turning some user pieces, now this is on the list.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I think this is the first turned hummingbird feeder I have seen here! Cool idea and nice work with all the burning! Your BIL will really appreciate ti!

Keith Westfall
04-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Wow!! Pretty Neat.

What did you use for the inside? And the spout?

Thanks.

Dan Forman
04-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Really cool idea, bet both your BIL and the birds will like it.

Dan

Roger Chandler
04-15-2011, 5:13 AM
That would look great with a bit of a dye job as well............I could see a red one, a yellow one, etc, which would likely attract more hummingbirds! My mother just loves hummingbirds and she would like me to make her some of these if she knew I could...................hummmm!

Donny Lawson
04-15-2011, 6:48 AM
Yeah, I think this is a first. Looks great. I never thought of a hummingbird feeder.

Michael Armstrong
04-15-2011, 6:57 AM
Great looking feeder, Greg. The flowers and hummer really add nicely to the overall appearance.

You don't need to dye them to attract the hummers. I've been selling them for years. Just make sure to use only a 4 part water to 1 part sugar mix and NO food colouring. Some of the food colourings can be lethal to the birds.

Michael

Bill Schoppert
04-15-2011, 7:21 AM
Very nice. Your brother in law should really like it.

Michelle Rich
04-15-2011, 7:52 AM
this feeder would look great outside anyone's window..very appealing

Greg Just
04-15-2011, 8:00 AM
Wow!! Pretty Neat.

What did you use for the inside? And the spout?

Thanks.

Keith - Craft Supply sells a kit. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Household___Hummingbird_Feeder___hummin gbird_tube?Args=

It is a test tube and a rubber stopper with the glass tube feeder tip. I have found local places that sell the test tubes and feeder tips. I have made others that have been dyed. I just learning the burning part. It can be a bit tricky.

Here is one place that sells the feeder tubes http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=12&cid=94&scid=218

Greg Just
04-15-2011, 8:43 AM
use only a 4 part water to 1 part sugar mix and NO food colouring. Some of the food colourings can be lethal to the birds.

Michael

That is the same ratio I have been using for years. No need to buy the pre-mixed stuff

Jim Underwood
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the details Greg. I was just checking the feeder tube price on Amazon... Wow! Amazon is about 10 times the price!

I'll have to check around to see where to get the parts...

Awesome project. I think I know what I'm going to do with my new aniline dyes now...

Baxter Smith
04-15-2011, 9:58 PM
Very neat idea. Never crossed my mind to try something like that!

Doug W Swanson
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
pretty neat little project. I've seen the kits in a catalog but never seen one finished. It turned out great! Do you have a picture of the top?

Greg Just
04-16-2011, 8:10 AM
pretty neat little project. I've seen the kits in a catalog but never seen one finished. It turned out great! Do you have a picture of the top?

Doug:

Here is the top. I piece of maple that was burned to look like shingles.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Greg that is a neat piece. My wife's sister has wanted one. Thanks for the info on the kits.

Rob Wachala Jr
04-16-2011, 5:41 PM
I love having hummingbirds around in the summer time. I bought a few feeders last year in doing research though I found a lot of information that said watch out for the tube like feeders. Reason being is they said they have a tendency to drip, which in turn causes ants to find the feeders. I see these tube feeder kits at CUSA and was thinking of trying one but I am weary for that reason. Have you had any issue with the feeders dripping?