PDA

View Full Version : Three Cherry Plates

Jim Underwood
04-14-2011, 9:08 PM
Last Christmas season I had a couple stop by my craft show booth and admire a cherry plate I'd made. They wanted a couple of plates they could use to cut cheese on. I didn't think a highly polished lacquer finish would stand up to that very long so I suggested a couple plates with an oil finish.

Being the procrastinator I am, it took me this long to finally get a round tuit. Actually I had one started before Christmas, but had a catch and it had been mounted on the lathe since then. Finally finished it this past couple of weeks.

Delivered them all last night, but shot a couple of quick photos.

They are all about 9-1/2 inches in diamter with a scorched rim.

Here's the first one that sat on the lathe since Christmas:

robert triplett
04-14-2011, 9:14 PM
That looks very well done. I am not a big fan of the dark rim, but the Cherry is very pretty. If the customer liked it, it is all good.
Robert

Jim Underwood
04-14-2011, 9:15 PM
Well the second one went a little better. I didn't have any catches, but I noticed it got a little thin. When I got it off the lathe, I put it up against my Halogen work lamp, and I could see light through it. Oops. It was probably between 1/8- 3/16 thick at that spot. It flexed a little but was good enough that I didn't throw it away. Wound up throwing it in with the other two for about half price.

Jim Underwood
04-14-2011, 9:23 PM
And the last one was thick enough, and the base was wide enough it didn't rock like the others. Only thing was it didn't quite have the same elegance...

Looks a bit like an hubcap off an old Pontiac....:cool:

Jim Underwood
04-14-2011, 9:23 PM
Ok. I'll quit boring you with these things....

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2011, 9:25 PM
Far from boring Jim. Those are some really nice looking pieces.

David DeCristoforo
04-14-2011, 9:34 PM
Those are some nice looking hubcaps... I mean plates... I guess I could say "Cheese... those are nice plates". Oh, I guess I did say that!?!? I think Hart's lacquer fumes are migrating out here to the west coast...

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 10:41 PM
They look great. The warmth of the cherry will only grow with time. Your detail work is very nice on these on both sides. I also like that it is medium heavy. It works with the theme of their use, to be a serving platter/cutting board. Nice work.

John Keeton
04-15-2011, 7:28 AM
Jim, I like all of them, but I think I like the design elements and placement better on the second two. And, for the intended purpose, I think the third one is great. More mass, and heft will add to the stability. Pretty stuff!

Michael Armstrong
04-15-2011, 7:32 AM
Nice job! I agree with John that the design etc in number two catches my eye the most.
Michael

Michelle Rich
04-15-2011, 7:49 AM
Hi Jim..cherry is a lovely wood to work with and looks good on almost anything. my only concern would be the stability of the base..if they are cutting cheese on the plate, then it will rock..if they are just using it as a serving platform, it should be ok...

bob svoboda
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Very nice work Jim. I am especially fond of the beading work-looks great.

Jim Underwood
04-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi Jim..cherry is a lovely wood to work with and looks good on almost anything. my only concern would be the stability of the base..if they are cutting cheese on the plate, then it will rock..if they are just using it as a serving platform, it should be ok...

Yep. That was my concern too. That's why the base kept getting larger.

What the customer saw at the craft show had a base that was about 1/5 the diameter of the plate, so I didn't want to change the design too much.

I should think about what I want it to look like if it's strictly for cutting cheese on. Hard to get too creative on the bottom when it needs the base to be pretty much the same as the diameter though...

charlie knighton
04-15-2011, 2:15 PM
very nice....

Richard Jones
04-15-2011, 3:42 PM
Pretty, Jim. My favorite wood and I love plates.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Baxter Smith
04-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Nice job Jim. They are all very pretty and useful too. Tough combination to beat!