PDA

View Full Version : Walnut/Curly Maple Jewelry Box

Matt Meiser
04-14-2011, 5:11 PM
I just made this walnut and curly maple jewelry box for my daughter's birthday which is this coming Monday. Not actually complete since I need to line the other three drawers, but done enough for some photos.

As discussed in a previous thread the walnut is actually some logs my uncle saved from his firewood pile. Buying a really nice piece of curly maple more than offset the savings of using firewood though! That and buying the Brusso hanger hardware. Ouch! Finish is Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. The liner is adhesive backed felt which came from Rockler along with the ring organizer stuff.

Douglas Clark
04-14-2011, 5:15 PM
Very nice! In a couple more years my daughter will be old enough to appreciate a gift like that. Better start planning now. Of course, come to think of it, my wife would probably like one now, so I can't show this to her until I've found a full-time job.

Erik Christensen
04-14-2011, 6:38 PM
Nice job on the box, very nice - of course tool sicko that I am I also kept looking at the Kreg machine in the background, the stack of Festool systainers....

Joe Shinall
04-14-2011, 8:02 PM
Matt, that's really nice. How thick is the stock? Looks to be mostly the same thickness. 1/2" maybe?

Matt Meiser
04-14-2011, 8:20 PM
Yes, the walnut is all 1/2" thick. The maple I bought was 3/8" because that's what they had so the drawer fronts are a little thinner, and then the drawer backs are a little thinner because I made them from 1/2" stock and set the drawers proud of the carcase, then took a little off at a time with the edge sander until they were flush.

The back I planed down to 1/4" thick. LOVE THAT HELICAL HEAD! :D

Robert Chapman
04-14-2011, 9:16 PM
Very Nice! Isn't walnut nice wood to work with? I did a dining table last year with it. The stuff is just buttery when you work it. Nice job!

Dave Gaul
04-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Great job Matt!

Gene Howe
04-15-2011, 7:46 AM
I have a rule: When Matt posts, I open!
I've never been disappointed.
Always amazed.
Great job, Matt. As usual.

Prashun Patel
04-15-2011, 8:59 AM
Matt-
Nice!
Two questions:

1) Where did you get the plans? I have to make one of these for my niece for her Sweet 16 in June. This is perfect.
2) What are you planning to FILL the box with? All the curly maple and Brusso hinges are small consolation to a girl without a little bling...

I just looked again at the pix. Looks like you handcut those dovetails.(?) Really nice. I hope mine comes out 1/2 as well.

Carl Civitella
04-15-2011, 9:19 AM
Nice one. Carl

Matt Meiser
04-15-2011, 9:45 AM
Yes, I hand cut the dovetails. Far from perfect, but in the end they didn't turn out too bad. A little sawdust and glue made them look a lot better. The plans are my own. Really not plans but a basic drawing.

Grandma likes to make her jewelry so there's a fair amount to go in it already.

Matt Meiser
04-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Assuming this works, here's a Sketchup drawing of the jewelry box that's pretty much accurate. No construction detail, but it gives you all the dimensions I used.

You'll need Sketchup 8.

David Nelson1
04-15-2011, 7:27 PM
Nice box!!! She will have that for a quite a long time.

Jeff Monson
04-15-2011, 7:54 PM
Really nice Matt, I like every aspect of it. Your daughter will be busy filling and organizing it.

Dave Ray
04-15-2011, 8:01 PM
Really nice Matt, no matter what bling your daughter puts in there it will never outshine the box her dad built just for her

Donny Lawson
04-15-2011, 9:29 PM
That's a nice looking box. She will get alot of good years from it.,and hopefully pass it down to her daughter.