PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for Northfield Jointer

Casey Carr
04-14-2011, 4:02 PM
Anyone know of a good mobile base that will handle the 1100 pounds the Northfield 12" Medium Duty jointer? Or had one built? I have access to pretty much everything I'd need to make one myself if necessary. Just want to make sure it'll handle the weight. Biggest I could find would hold 700 lbs.

And any opinions on either replacing the motor with a single phase or going through a phase converter?

I've had this thing for about a year now and I think it's time to get the bad boy operational!

Thanks for any help!

Steve Costa
04-14-2011, 5:22 PM
Casey,

Get casters that can support at least 500 lbs. each. Bigger the diameter the better as they will roll easier, 4" to 5" should do it. Check with a local welder to see if 1/4" angle iron & plate will support an 1100 pound jointer. I just did this for an 800 pound planer & it is working out just fine, just not a lot of fun to push around. If you can buy the materials and do the fabrication yourself it will save $$$.

Steve Schoene
04-14-2011, 5:32 PM
Don't you need some tugs to dock an aircraft carrier of that size? Is yours direct drive or belt drive? 3hp.?

johnny means
04-15-2011, 8:54 AM
DAMHIK, but when you do get going on your mobile base, it's a goog idea to outrigger the casters a little. Jointers have a high center of gravity.

Casey Carr
04-15-2011, 5:34 PM
Tugs would be about right. Its belt drive, not sure on the hp offhand. Might have to build my own, just didn't want to have to do the calculations myself. Being lazy.Any recommendations on casters brand wise?

David Kumm
04-15-2011, 6:04 PM
I would keep the three phase motor. Once you go 3 you won't go back. An rpc is the long term solution but a vfd will work just fine if you want a solution for now- for this machine. You will want to either remove the mag starter or go to a manual starter as an emergency cutoff and use the vfd to start and stop the machine. Speed control is less important although I think your cutterhead is rated up to about 6000 rpm and runs at 4500. Dave

Mike Heidrick
04-15-2011, 8:51 PM
HTC should be able to make you one that will support it.

Don L Johnson
04-15-2011, 9:53 PM
Casey,

I just had a custom mobile base built for a 12" short bed jointer from Grizzly; it's only 830 lbs. HTC made it to spec, but I actually purchased it through Woodworkers Supply and got it cheaper than buying it direct from HTC. After you find out the price, you'll probably want to build it yourself.

Don

Anyone know of a good mobile base that will handle the 1100 pounds the Northfield 12" Medium Duty jointer? Or had one built? I have access to pretty much everything I'd need to make one myself if necessary. Just want to make sure it'll handle the weight. Biggest I could find would hold 700 lbs.

And any opinions on either replacing the motor with a single phase or going through a phase converter?

I've had this thing for about a year now and I think it's time to get the bad boy operational!

Thanks for any help!

Carroll Courtney
04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I made mine out of 1/4 angle iron and purchase 6" casters that are rated 1k per caster.The problem I have with mine is that when I move to the outfeed table I have to watch my step.Using the same size casters I made a mobile base for the Crescent 36"BS,it also moves very nicely.To reinforce the seams,I welding an extra piece of plate(triangle shape).Its not the best design on either mobile base, but it move easy---Carroll

Casey Carr
04-18-2011, 8:04 PM
Thanks Carroll! That's what I was looking for, some ideas! I'd guess that beast has to weigh pretty close to what mine does, so 1/4 angle should work pretty good for me too. Might take your idea and put the wheels on the front side of the machine on either end of the base as opposed to the sides like you have, just to avoid the tripping hazard. And way cheaper to build my own versus going through HTC I'm guessing.

David, I'm completely lost when it comes to sparks. I have no clue what a rpc is, and I'm guessing a vfd is a variable phase transformer? The switch on it was broke during shipping, so I'm into it for a new switch anyways, what would you recommend for a switch if I go with the vfd. I have no clue what you're talking about there.

Frank Drew
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Casey,

Rotary Phase Converter; Variable Frequency Drive.

Norman Hitt
04-19-2011, 1:09 AM
Casey, just a thought here, but IF you put the front castors on the ends on the front side, instead of out the sides like Carroll did, it could get a little "Tipsey" when moving it, since those are pretty top heavy. With that in mind, you could add a fold down Outrigger with a smaller castor on it on each end on the front side that you could fold down when you are moving it as protection from tipping over, but when folded up for use, would give you better Foot access without tripping obstacles. The outrigger castors actually could be set to just clear the floor or just skim it unless it started to tip.