PDA

View Full Version : Table saw question

Kirk Duff
04-14-2011, 1:38 PM
Looking for input.

I currenty own a contractor saw and looking at replaceing it with something in the 3hp cabinet saw. I do a fair bit of cutting melamine and would love to cut both sides of the sheets chip free. I might cut 20-30 sheets of malemine 4 times a year. dollars and cents wise right now a large scoreing saw is out of the question

Is it posible to get chip free cuts from a cabinet saw, with a zero clearance insert and a good melamine blade with out a scoreing blade?

If you have photos I would love to see them.

Thanks for your time and input

Kirk

Dave Gaul
04-14-2011, 1:44 PM
Kirk, I would say yes, it is possible. I have a 1.5hp Hybrid saw (Ridgid R4511), with a ZCI & a Freud Melamine blade (80 tooth I think) and I have had many chip free cuts, well actually, I don't remember ever having any chip outs when cutting melamine.

Neil Brooks
04-14-2011, 1:56 PM
I've found that two things can make a BIG difference in cutting sheet goods, cleanly:

1) Score it ... with a straight edge and a utility knife, if you have to ... and then cut right on your score line;

2) Put masking tape on the line that you're going to cut, and then cut right through the masking tape.

So ... I agree: I think it can be done, pretty well.

Rod Sheridan
04-14-2011, 2:09 PM
Kirk, having gone the cabinet saw route and then buying a small slider with scoring, I think for 120 sheets a year you would be wise to buy the slider.

Have a look at the Hammer K3 with the shorter sliding table, not much more than a General 650 cabinet saw.

What's your hourly shop rate, and how much time will a slider with scoring save you?

I bet you can save the price difference in less than a year, and have nice square chip free cuts...........Regards, Rod.

Mike Barney Sr
04-14-2011, 2:30 PM
There is a device called the Modulus 2000. It is a scoring blade attachment that fits on a 10" table saw.

http://www.modulus2000.com/product1.htm

michael gates
04-14-2011, 2:35 PM
You can get chip free cuts with your saw now, Buy a double sided melamine blade. Get a high quality industrial one.

scott spencer
04-14-2011, 9:29 PM
Kirk - A high precision high tooth count blade that has a Hi-ATB grind and a moderate hook angle will produce the cleanest cuts in melamine. Something like a Freud LU79 (thin kerf) or LU80, Infinity Ultrasmooth 010-080, Forrest Duraline, CMT Orange 210.080.10, or Amana Tool MB10-800 shold be excellent for clean cuts in ply and melamine. Unfortunately, the steep bevel angle that provides such low tearout also makes the blade more prone to abrasion compared to other grinds. If you're looking for more of a balance in performance and edge life, a triple chip grind (TCG) gives good performance and longer edge life. Each of the premium brands above also has a suitable TCG blade.

Combine a top blade with the tips you've been given, and you should get great cuts.

Kirk Duff
04-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the good coments.

I agree with Rod on the slider saw with the scoreing blade. i was Just looking to off set the cost for a couple of years with the cabinet saw

I have a couple of more questions that need more input

What will i notice on the perforamce end between a unit with a seperate motor for the scoreing blade and a belt from the main motor?

I have been looking at the G0623X From Grizzly for sometime now. The price point fits where I'm at better it gives me a large slider and a scoreing blade. Does any one have one with some hours on it and is it still as good as the day it came out of the box??

Thanks again
KIrk