PDA

View Full Version : Nova Prec ision Midi Chuck issue

Steve Braman
04-14-2011, 1:24 PM
I bought the Nova Precision Midi chuck when they were on sale some time last year. I am unable to use the wood screw that is included in the package. Either my spindle is too long or the jaws extend too far toward the center of the chuck. When I mount the chuck with the jaws fully closed, the inner portion of the jaw will hit the threads on the end of the spindle. Has anyone else had this issue? I was also wondering if there is any solution other than using an 1/8" spacer to keep the chuck from tightening down all the way on the threads. I hope I made myself clear. It is a simple problem that is hard to explain.

I am using this on a Grizzly G0462.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Allan Ferguson
04-14-2011, 8:34 PM
Go with a spacer. Found this same problem with a jet 12-36. Spindle hit the jaws so the will not close all the way. there is an extensive thread started by Baxter Smith with the same problem

Harry Robinette
04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
OK Guys
You both need to contact Nova. I own 7 Nova's I can't see how this can happen only on a couple lathes there must be something in the length of the spindle threads. Baxter's problem is( I believe) that he's not using an insert and your's could also be the same if your not using a NOVA insert. You may have the chuck that is pre-threaded if so call Nova I'm sure they will have an answer for you.
I use and sell Nova chucks for over 10 years and have never heard of this kind of problem.

Bill Blasic
04-15-2011, 6:11 AM
A Precision Mini has no insert, it is a 1" X 8 threaded chuck. I pulled out the grizzly catalog and the threaded spindle looks long in the picture. The length of the spindle to where the chuck sits against on my Jet 1220, Delta 46-460 and my little Nova are all a little less than 1". The depth from where the chuck buts to the back of the spindle to where the backs of the jaws are all slightly longer than 1" on all of my Precision Minis (5). This means they all seat on any of my lathes and the jaws do not touch. Measure the length of the spindle on the Grizzly and my guess is that it is longer than 1". I believe the spacer/washer is your easiest fix but would not guarantee that the chuck will be spinning within the tolerances it was built to.
Bill