PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection

Barry wines
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I am getting tired of continually emptying bags from my dust collector and I am wondering if I just ran it through the wall and out doors, would it make it more efficient. I now that its air flow is based on rpm and size of the fan. However that is based on zero pressure.
Like any non positive displacement pump output is affected by pressure and without the back pressure of the air filter the flow would would be greater. I would build a bin outdoors with louvers and non restrictrive screening. Also I live in the country and dont have neibors to complain. Am I on the right track.

david brum
04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
This is what I eventually plan to do:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?53504-New-Chip-Box-for-Dust-Collection

Neil Brooks
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Barry-

Lots of WWs do exactly that.

It may be best done, though, if you use a chip separator before the DC, allowing you to vent ONLY the "fines" to the outside.

There's also a lingering question about .... exhausting conditioned (heated or cooled) air from your workshop, if you HAVE heating or a/c IN your workshop.

The theory is ... you'll put more load ON the heating/cooling if you DO exhaust that air FROM your shop.

I'm not positive that issue is settled, but ... intuitively ... it makes sense to me :)

Good luck !

Dan Hintz
04-14-2011, 1:05 PM
The theory is ... you'll put more load ON the heating/cooling if you DO exhaust that air FROM your shop.

I'm not positive that issue is settled, but ... intuitively ... it makes sense to me :)
There's no theory about it, it's pretty cut and dry. Leave the doors/windows to your shop open during a freezing/hot day and see if the heat/AC doesn't have to run extra hard to change that temp. And that's not even forced air.

Neil Brooks
04-14-2011, 1:24 PM
There's no theory about it, it's pretty cut and dry. Leave the doors/windows to your shop open during a freezing/hot day and see if the heat/AC doesn't have to run extra hard to change that temp. And that's not even forced air.

I actually agree 100%, but ... having seen others vehemently argue the point ... I figured softening the delivery MIGHT help avoid a war ;)

Joe Leigh
04-14-2011, 4:32 PM
To put exactly how much cooling is lost into perspective, the typical AC system moves approx 400cfm's per ton of cooling. Take a 2hp dust collector moving 1500cfm and you have roughly the equivalent of 3 1/2 tons of cooling leaving the building whenever the DC is running. That can get expensive....