PDA

View Full Version : Good Weather = Shop Time

Bobby McCarley
04-14-2011, 9:53 AM
With the weather being nice, it’s time to get back in the shop. These are some items I have done lately.
The peppermill was done for a challenge in our turning club. It is made of maple with a little woodburning added. It took first place, but there were only three other mills entered. The ring box or keepsake box is walnut with an oil finish on it. The pens are mesquite with malicite(?) inlay, polymer clay, and maple pen and pencil with decals on them and a CA finish. If the weather hangs around, maybe I can get some other projects done.

Bobby
Louisiana

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Really nice pieces Bobby. I do like the lidded box.

Jim Burr
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I really love that little box Bobby...very cool. The polymer looks like one of Toni's blanks from another forum dedicated to pens...She has the best stuff!
Keep it up!

John Keeton
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Bobby, that is some nice work - particularly the box. Your story on the mill taking first place reminds me of my Dad. He graduated first in his class from high school. Of course, there was only one senior graduating!!! I think the whole "one room school" had less than 12 students!

Tim Rinehart
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
very nice work Bobby. I like the 'Gateway' or 'moo cow' pepper mill. I would like to hear about your process on the wall street pen with the flower design..is that the polymer clay?
All nice pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear you are getting in some shop time! Nice work on everything but the little walnut box really stands out!

John W Dixon
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Nice job on all these. The box is cool but I really like that peppermoo, I mean mill.

John

Dan Forman
04-14-2011, 4:38 PM
Nice work, the box is a standout, got to make me some of those, and the clay pen blank suits the kit just perfectly. Hope the weather holds so that we can see more of your work.

Dan

Bobby McCarley
04-14-2011, 9:24 PM
Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated. I was in the shop again today turing a platter from some of the same walnut that the box
is made of. It sure turns good but the smell is quite strong. I had the whole shop smelling like walnut. Tim, the flower pen is indeed polymer clay. I'm
afraid I can't take credit for the design work though. That was done by Toni from New Zealand and I don't think there is anybody better than she is
at what she does. Basically, you just have to do some light sanding on the blank and seal it with several coats of CA glue and buff it out.

Bobby
Louisiana

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Nice stuff. Glad you are getting shop time. Congrats on the mill!