PDA

View Full Version : Old Yellow Pine Gloat

harry strasil
04-14-2011, 4:37 AM
The house to the west of me sold and the contractor is doing a bunch of remodeling inside. There is one of those large Demolition Dumpsters setting half on my propert and I have been diving for some of the Beautiful Old Yellow Pine they are removing and putting in the dumpster, as well as some nice wainscoat paneling I am going to use for the paneling in the sides of a little chest to set beside ma's chair to keep all the meds she has to take. Them plastic see thru discount store chests.

So far just a few nails to pull and hardly any knots.

Paul Incognito
04-14-2011, 5:24 AM
Nice find Jr!
I dumpster dive for old growth lumber whenever I get the chance.
Paul

mickey cassiba
04-14-2011, 6:14 AM
Around here you 'bout have to take a number to get to the dumpster.

Rob Young
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a pretty good find. Consider it "payment" for the use of your property. Finding wire nails or cut nails?

Bob Glenn
04-14-2011, 1:27 PM
When I re-enact an eighteenth century Windsor chairmaker, I often get the question, "what is your favorite wood?" My answer is always, free wood!

harry strasil
04-14-2011, 4:11 PM
wire nails Rob I think it was built in the late 50's early 60's, It was after I was in elementry school, cause in the winter I used to walk the 7 blocks up to where my house sits in the tracks left by the Wittrock Dairy truck, and then 5 blocks east to the school and it wasn't there then.

Rob Young
04-14-2011, 11:31 PM
wire nails Rob I think it was built in the late 50's early 60's, It was after I was in elementry school, cause in the winter I used to walk the 7 blocks up to where my house sits in the tracks left by the Wittrock Dairy truck, and then 5 blocks east to the school and it wasn't there then.

And uphill both ways? ;)

Chuck Saunders
04-15-2011, 8:44 AM
The snow was deep and the tracks left by the dairy truck were only wide enough for one foot so Jr had to walk with one foot in each tire track. And the truck tracks were very wide apart. Don't even mention the field of broken glass.

Congrats on finding some yellow pine treasure.

Nixon Roger
04-15-2011, 8:57 AM
About 15 years ago they tore down a lot of the military housing at Ft. Riley to build new ones. There were tons of excellent lumber but the contract said it all had to go to a landfill and no one was allowed to salvage any. It was heartbreaking to see all that good wood buried.

Tom Vanzant
04-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Nixon,
My BIL was luckier. When he was opening his Vet clinic in DeRidder LA, he was able to buy a barracks at Ft. Polk that was slated for demolition. After removing the second floor and roof, he moved the building to DeRidder and now has a very solid clinic. The number of nails per square foot was mind-boggling, and there probably weren't more than a dozen knots in the whole structure. Its a shame to discard such quality wood.

Jeff Wittrock
04-15-2011, 4:07 PM
...I used to walk the 7 blocks up to where my house sits in the tracks left by the Wittrock Dairy truck..
Not to go off thread, but thats a neat name:). I don't see my last name very often.

Phil Thien
04-15-2011, 4:11 PM
Not to go off thread, but thats a neat name:). I don't see my last name very often.

It appears in every post you make, perhaps you need to post more often. :)