PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Acrylic Cake Topper

Ron Thompson
04-14-2011, 12:59 AM
It was my wife's birthday last Saturday. I wanted to make her something special, so I made my 1st cake topper.

What do you think? I'm thinking of checking with a few local cake shops and see if the might be interested in "Custom Cake Toppers"

Ron Thompson
I Love Retirement

Jiten Patel
04-14-2011, 4:21 AM
Very nice Ron.

We are looking into doing these, monogram ones with crystals and plain ones from mirrored acrylic. They would go down a storm in the wedding world. Will post up pics when I get around to it.

Andrea Weissenseel
04-14-2011, 4:40 AM
That's pretty Ron :)

I already make the monogram ones together with a cake shop, only clear one though - mirrored seems not to be the style over here :confused: even they look great. Slowly they're getting adopted, after they took them to a cake show in Birmingham. Cake people rather make the monograms out of icing/fondant

Andrea

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-14-2011, 6:59 PM
It looks great for your first one ... but for some odd reason after looking at the photo, I'm craving carrot cake. LOL

How about a few details... what size is it and what did you use for the color?

Dee Gallo
04-14-2011, 7:55 PM
I love the use of mirror for this - looks sharp, Ron! She must have loved it too - big points for you!

cheers, dee

paul mott
04-15-2011, 2:49 AM
Ron,

Did you profile cut the whole thing or did you buy it that way and then engrave it ?

Paul.

Frank Corker
04-15-2011, 8:40 AM
Nice job Ron, bet she was pleased that you even made the effort to remember her birthday, this would have been the topping on the cake for her!

Ron Thompson
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Paul,

I did the design in Corel then engraved and cut the 12" X 24" acrylic mirrored sheet.

Ron

Gary and Jessica Houghton
04-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Ron, That looks great. I recently played with a cake topper as well, this was for a much different occasion. I even made the cake!

Dee Gallo
04-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Jessica, that's a hoot! The cake looks delish too!

Kevin Huffman
04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
GREAT JOB man. Keep up the good work.

Ron Thompson
04-18-2011, 3:20 PM
I love it. Great Idea........

Ron

Ron Thompson
04-21-2011, 2:46 AM
Ron, That looks great. I recently played with a cake topper as well, this was for a much different occasion. I even made the cake!

Gary & Jessica,

I'm not sure who posted the photo, but I like the clipart of the "Babies Mom Ma". Where did you find that?

Ron

Giacomo Cheslaghi
04-21-2011, 7:25 AM
Great idea Ron!

I've been working with some mirrored acrilyc last Christmas (mostly christmas tree decoration shapes like candy canes and balls)

How did you do the black and red colours?

Rand Luka
04-21-2011, 8:35 AM
It looks great Ron, I assume that you've used back painting for the black and red, but how did you manage to clean it up so you can look at it from all sides?

Thanks
Rand

Gary and Jessica Houghton
05-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks Dee, The cake was YUMMY!
Ron, I really don't remember. There are a couple of sights I am a member of and bought it for pretty cheap. I used this same Momma on two sets of invites that I made. That's really where I got the idea of the topper from. All in all, the invitations and then the topper made the whole baby shower tie in together nicely.