PDA

View Full Version : Ck out my led work

sal shepherd
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
This is 1 of 2 top awards for a motorcycle show I will be engraving at .I have 7 other non lighted ones to make. They will be smaller version of the bottom part of trophy. With a car show to come.

Steve Yates products, Black lines,Photo to line drawing, any good ? I am thinking about getting them for the show and using Jim's led bases?

Thanks to the Power of SMC

Doug Griffith
04-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I Like it.

I don't think the motorcycle needs needs to be in a box though. Make it bigger. I'd also put "2011" and "BIKE SHOW" on the same line so it justifies with the logo above. Then I'd increase the size of "BEST OF SHOW" to justify with the text above it. Possibly move below the motorcycle graphic.

Also, "1st Annual" needs the leading tightened and probably a different font.

My 2 cents for what it's worth

John Noell
04-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Nice work. I agree with Doug on the box, but not on the other points. :)

Frank Corker
04-14-2011, 5:50 AM
Nicely lit sign. I too would prefer no box around the bike, but hey that could have been the vendors request.

Mike Null
04-14-2011, 6:20 AM
Good job. I'd get rid of the box but overall it looks very good and you can bet they've never given one like that before.

Jiten Patel
04-14-2011, 6:33 AM
Hi Sal,

That looks great. Love the flame part, the colours look incredible. Agree with everyone though, the box looks out of place. Maybe a decrotive border may have suited, but none at all would look even better. Still amazing though.

Steve Clarkson
04-14-2011, 7:47 AM
How did you get the flames red?

Emily Wilson
04-14-2011, 9:25 AM
The box around the cycle anchors the whole design, with out it the text would make the composition top heavy . Maybe a double line that would take up the same area width as the solid line for the box just like the line that is under the word RALLY? Make the bike red instead? Then that would tie in the cool flames on top? Since the trophy narrows at the base I cannot see making the bike bigger or having it float in space. Bet that was more info than you asked for, Sal. I just don't agree with the nix of the box as suggested in this thread. I love the trophy overall and I am sure that the recipient will be thrilled.
Just putting in my three cents worth.

Ron Chapellaz
04-14-2011, 9:42 AM
Nice job done Sal! Don't worry about what the critics say. Everyone has their own graphic style, and it could have been designed a million different ways. I sometimes second guess my own designs, but I see that as a good thing, as it shows I care about the quality of my work. Thanks for the post, and I love the flames!

Emily Wilson
04-14-2011, 9:47 AM
I agree and there are a million ways to design graphically.

Dee Gallo
04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Sal,

I love this concept, using edgelit acrylic for a trophy is genius for the people getting this - they are going to cherish this one!

I agree with Ron, too - there are a million ways to do a lay out and there is no one perfect way. As long as there is a focus to the layout, you're okay. In this case, I see that as the Southern Rally part - if that was your intention, then good! But the overall impact is a big WOW and you are successful there in a unique way.

I have not found Blackline to be the be-all and end-all others have raved about. I have not spent enough time with it to make it do spectacular things with a photo, but it does work easily. In your area, it might be a good addition to your tool box, it is certainly cheap enough to have as another program for certain jobs. But then again, I am old school and like to do things manually, so don't go by me.:)

cheers, dee

Dee Gallo
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
How did you get the flames red?

Looks like he used three layers, each lit with a different color bulb - clever guy!

John Noell
04-14-2011, 3:55 PM
An interesting alternative to Blackline came as a tutorial with an earlier version of Photoshop. Open image, duplicate the layer, change layer mode from Normal to Multiply (in the layers window), go to filters and choose Other->High Pass (set to ~3.5 pixels), then go to Image->Adjustments->Threshold (play with settings to change effects),click on bottom layer and use a gaussian blur (~10 pixels). Last step is convert to B/W (Image->Mode->Grey scale/Image mode->Bitmap).

Ron Hartl
04-14-2011, 4:09 PM
Very nice work!

sal shepherd
04-14-2011, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the all the coments, good and bad. This is the only way I can get better. The box was the customers doing but I had to replace the motorcycle. I am considering a double line box, if customer agrees. As for the red bottom, I tried blue, red, orange, yellow , I failed to checked with the top assy. In the design I moved the bottom plexi to line up with the front flame.

Steve each plexi spaced with standoffs and indivualy lit.

Thanks Again
Sal

Larry Robinson
04-14-2011, 8:26 PM
OK,

I want to what I have to do to win it!

That flame design on top is fantastic.

Larry

sal shepherd
04-16-2011, 6:07 PM
You would have to be the best in show out of about 600 bikes or best bike builder,or my favorite slip me about 150.00 it could be yours and I will put what ever you want to win. Just say the word