PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day Indeed

Dick Wilson
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
A Creeker dropped in for a chat AAANNNNDDDD I sold four bowls:D:D:D

A month or so ago Keith Bird PM'd me and said next time he was in Grand Rapids he would look me up. He e-mailed me yesterday and stopped in for a couple of hours this afternoon. Great time chatting about all sorts of turning topics. Now I have an eye witness to the horror of my messy shop. Shavings all over the floor from one end to the other, benches covered with what ever. Wait a minute........I seem to recall cleaning my shop a couple of weeks ago. I think. Can't tell now.:D Keith is relatively new to turning and had a bunch of questions. I was more than happy to help. I thought him leaving with a couple of logs was only appropriate;) I have no idea what the wood is except it is very light cream color, wet, and free.

Keith E Byrd
04-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Yep I was able to stop by Dick's today - he was a great host and answered lots of questions and I got to see a lot of his work. I can vouch for a few shavings on the floor! And the peice of walnut he talked about in another post is really nice. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
When I pulled in Dick came out and said "open the back of your truck." He had just picked up some free wood and loaded two pieces in my truck! Thanks Dick - now we just haave to find out what kind of wood it is - I got home and put anchor seal on the two pieces - it was a great couple of hours at Dick's "studio".

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Always glad to hear when Creekers are able to get together! Sounds like you both had a good time! Any chance there are some photos?

Keith E Byrd
04-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry steve - we took no photos - but it really did happen! I can put a picture of the wood on tomorrow!

Dan Forman
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Yup, Creeker visits are great!

Dan

John Keeton
04-14-2011, 7:58 AM
Glad you guys had a good time, but regret I wasn't there!!! I could have helped clean Dick's shop while you guys swapped stories!

Jerry Marcantel
04-14-2011, 9:03 AM
but regret I wasn't there!!! I could have helped clean Dick's shop while you guys swapped stories!

You know John, if you didn't have that full head of hair and beard, you look just like that Mr. Clean guy.... Hehehe...... Jerry (in Tucson)

bob svoboda
04-14-2011, 9:07 AM
Creeker visits are great. Sounds like it was a good one.

Dick Wilson
04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Yep I was able to stop by Dick's today - he was a great host and answered lots of questions and I got to see a lot of his work. I can vouch for a few shavings on the floor! And the peice of walnut he talked about in another post is really nice. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
When I pulled in Dick came out and said "open the back of your truck." He had just picked up some free wood and loaded two pieces in my truck! Thanks Dick - now we just haave to find out what kind of wood it is - I got home and put anchor seal on the two pieces - it was a great couple of hours at Dick's "studio".

Keith, next time you are in GR give me a call and drop by. I have my wood turning guild meeting Saturday. Hopefully someone who can identify wood will know what it is. I will let you know. Happy turning my friend.

Keith E Byrd
04-16-2011, 7:46 AM
Dick, I'm thinking it is box elder. I compared to a tree in back of the house and it has the same bark. Lets see if your guild confirms or corrects!

Dick Wilson
04-16-2011, 2:01 PM
Dick, I'm thinking it is box elder. I compared to a tree in back of the house and it has the same bark. Lets see if your guild confirms or corrects!

Keith, Three guys in my wood turning guild said box elder as well. Sooooooooooo that is my story and I am going to stick with it. I have turned a piece of it between centers to it final form. Man, you talk about sweet turning wood. It looks like stringy foam coming out of a can. Am I hanging shop tinsel or what. I think this piece will be an air brushed multi-dyed piece because the wood is sort of blaw.

Dick Wilson
04-16-2011, 2:05 PM
Glad you guys had a good time, but regret I wasn't there!!! I could have helped clean Dick's shop while you guys swapped stories!

John, You are the master of "The Clean Shop". Your reign is supreme and will never be challenged by ANYONE:):) You are welcome to come up anytime on a mercy mission to get me re-focused on the right path:D:D:D

Keith E Byrd
04-17-2011, 7:08 AM
I probably won't get to turn any till week after easter - I will see if I can make some shop tinsel!
Question: If you are going to put on stain why would you use the air brush instead of just spinning it on?

Dick Wilson
04-17-2011, 8:33 AM
I probably won't get to turn any till week after easter - I will see if I can make some shop tinsel!
Question: If you are going to put on stain why would you use the air brush instead of just spinning it on?

Hi Keith, I am going to use dye, not stain. The reason I use an air brush is that I have much better control over the dye as it goes on. It is much easier to blend in the different color dyes. Well, let me back track. The first thing I will do is wipe on ebony stain. Think of the turning like you would a canvas for a painting. You prep the canvas before "painting". Once the stain dries I sand the stain back exposing as much of the natural wood as I want (knots, distinctive grain patterns, etc.?) I then use dye. I start out with light dyes, such as yellow, and go to darker colors. As you add the different the colors blend into each other.