PDA

View Full Version : Question on finishing pine

David Wilson
01-31-2005, 3:09 PM
Hello all
I am almost finished building my latest project. It is a cabinet for LOML built of #2 pine and I am contemplating the finish. Just read an article from Briwax on aging pine with a solution of water and drain cleener. Wondering if anyone has any experiance with this process? Any coments or suggestions will be apreciated. (Tyler, pictures will be posted next weekend)

Thanks

Maurice Ungaro
01-31-2005, 3:38 PM
David,
What "look" are you trying to achieve? I've never heard of using drain cleaner - appears it may be a bit caustic, and then the neutralization would be a pain too. Are you trying to pickle the wood? Bleach it out?

Maurice

David Wilson
01-31-2005, 4:01 PM
Maurice
The look I am trying to get is that of antique pine. Here is the link to the article I refurred to. No neutralizing necessary according to the article.

http://www.briwax-trg.com/aging%20pine.htm

Maurice Ungaro
01-31-2005, 4:15 PM
David - looks kinda fool proof....but beware, us fools are so ingenious!

Maurice

Carl Eyman
01-31-2005, 5:44 PM
Back in the dark ages (1950ish) Cohasset Colonials made kit furniture much of it in the New England Colonial mode. They sold a sealer/stain made by Butcher's Wax that aimed at the natural patina of aged pine. As the pine aged it got a little darker, but not much. The only thing you needed to put over it was wax. I built a lot of Cohasset Colonial kits and did my whole kitchen in pine, (over 50 drawers and doors). Now Cohasset Colonials is still in business though different ownership and location. Whether they still sell the stain/sealer, I don't know. I am sure they have a web site (found it one time). I don't know whether Butcher's wax is around or not. I still had a can on my old paint shelf, though I'm sure it is dried up, but there might be enough to show color if you are interested.