PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a SN2 chuck that doesn't seat on the spindle shoulder.

Baxter Smith
04-13-2011, 4:14 PM
I think I remember reading a post sometime ago about a similar question but don't remember the solution. I can't seem to enter the right words to find the post.
The SN2 on the right is one I purchased a little over a year ago with a Nova insert for a 3520A. The chuck on the left is a SN2 I picked up recently from a fellow creeker but doesn't take an insert.
The chuck with the insert seats properly.
The made in New Zealand chuck (no insert needed) doesn't have enough thread depth to seat.

And the solution is?????? Thanks for your help!

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2011, 4:16 PM
machined 'flat' flatwasher as a spacer seems reasonable to me.

Roger Chandler
04-13-2011, 4:21 PM
Baxter,

Several of us had an issue with the inserts not allowing the seating against the shoulder with our SN2's.........I was able to take a 1-1/4 inch tap and deepen the threaded insert for one of mine.........on one other I just opened up the shoulder a bit with a file on the insert [the side that goes against the spindle shoulder] and that made it seat correctly..............

I do not know if it would work for a chuck without an insert............my Beale spindle tap did okay for the insert, but I do not know if it will take the stress of trying to thread the chuck body..............

I would call Teknatool tech support and talk with them about the issue............if the chuck is running true then it is not a problem to begin with.

David E Keller
04-13-2011, 4:51 PM
I would think the precision washer route would do the trick.

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2011, 4:57 PM
Baxter...I just had a brain*(), er, another thought. Take some calipers and see if the shoulder on your spindle threads is a bit larger than the recess on the chuck with machined threads (no insert).
Here's my theory, if that's the case, it's simple matter of enlarging the female part of the rabbet fit (the non-threaded part before the threads).
I have a Nova G3 that was made pre-threaded for my Delta 46-460. It's possible that the one you have was made for a specific machine's spindle and not more universal as the inserts may be made.
There again...I may be totally wrong, but if I'm right...would be a better fix than a washer!

Michael James
04-13-2011, 6:13 PM
My fix was the tap, and voila. I prefer that over the washer method, but that would be 2nd best IMO.
mj

Brian Libby
04-13-2011, 6:34 PM
Nothing wrong with a washer!
I believe that Richard Raffan used one at Totally Turning in the platter demo.

Allan Ferguson
04-13-2011, 7:04 PM
Some of the Jets have a longer thread than my Nova and need a spacer . Otherwise the spindle advances to far into the chuck and interferes with the jaws. Won't close all the way.

Gary Max
04-13-2011, 7:16 PM
I bought the tap------still ain't real happy about it. Why should you have to make something fit right????????????

Ron Rutter
04-13-2011, 7:37 PM
I had the same problem with a King chuck. No counterbore in the bushing so it would not bottom on spindle shoulder. Took it back. Never thought until later to add a washer to prove that was the reason. Runout was 1 1/2 mm.

William Bachtel
04-13-2011, 7:46 PM
Craft Supplies sells nylon washers. Another idea is to buy a spindle extender, this will also protect the spindle that is part of the lathe, rather change an extender, than replace the spindle on your lathe, easier and cheaper.

Baxter Smith
04-13-2011, 8:55 PM
Thanks for your input. I was probably looking for an answer that doesn't exist!:) There isn't enough depth in the body of the chuck to do any addtional tapping. The chuck seems to bottom out on the front end of the spindle, then I can tighten it a bit more. I was just wondering if that was going to make it hard to get off after turning something large. Only one way to find out I suppose. Adding a washer of about 3/8 is the only way to make it seat against the shoulder. Thanks again for your thoughts!

David DeCristoforo
04-13-2011, 9:50 PM
Just use a washer. It's no big deal. If you use that chuck without one the it's going to end up being soooooooooooo tight on the spindle that it will take a John Hart invention to get it off again. The chuck has to bottom out on something other than the end of the threads.

Roger Wilson
04-14-2011, 5:52 PM
Try this nylon washer, it works nicely:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Spindle_Accessories___No_Lock_ Spindle_Washer___spindle_washer?Args=

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Baxter, Give Teknatool a call, maybe they have a washer. I have to report that I called the FLA location the other day and things went very well and order on Friday, was at my home Monday. Have you measured the run out?

Baxter Smith
04-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Just use a washer. It's no big deal. If you use that chuck without one the it's going to end up being soooooooooooo tight on the spindle that it will take a John Hart invention to get it off again. The chuck has to bottom out on something other than the end of the threads.
David, I am not quite sure if it bottoms out on the end of the threads or the end of the spindle. There is a flattened area on the inside of the chuck and the end of the spindle is flat. Just can't quite see if the two meet.

Try this nylon washer, it works nicely:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Spindle_Accessories___No_Lock_ Spindle_Washer___spindle_washer?Args=

Thanks Roger. I am not sure how thick those washers are but I imagine I would need more than just a couple to take up that thickness. I have not tried one, but I have read some posts here that using any is questionable. Two or three more can't be any better.

Baxter, Give Teknatool a call, maybe they have a washer. I have to report that I called the FLA location the other day and things went very well and order on Friday, was at my home Monday. Have you measured the run out?
Thanks Mark. A metal washer/spacer is probably the best answer. Perhaps a piece of steel plate with a proper sized hole drilled in it would be precise enough. Don't think I have a drill bit large enough even if I have the steel. I suppose the phone call is next.
Thanks again everyone!

Doug Wolf
04-15-2011, 8:30 AM
Baxter,
Our club has used a washer on our 3520A made from a peice of cherry that, yes, was turned on the lathe for well over a year. The spindle threads were damaged from demostrators bringing their own chucks and face plates that wouldn't thread on all of the way. After we replaced the spindle ($160) we now use the cherry washer with no problems.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Baxter the little Delta 200 that I had before, also did have a longer spindle and came with a steel spacer to place behind the face-plate, but I didn't need it for my Oneway Talon chuck, as it did accommodate the spindle easily, so either a Talon chuck ;), or a steel spacer would do the trick :D

Just make sure the spacer is evenly thick or you will possible introduce wobble, as there is some space between the chuck thread and spindle thread, that is also why a soft spacer is not the best idea :)

Baxter Smith
04-15-2011, 9:56 PM
Baxter,
Our club has used a washer on our 3520A made from a peice of cherry that, yes, was turned on the lathe for well over a year. The spindle threads were damaged from demostrators bringing their own chucks and face plates that wouldn't thread on all of the way. After we replaced the spindle ($160) we now use the cherry washer with no problems.
Thanks Doug. I made some vacuum chuck backs out of some hardmaple I had. Tapped it so they would thread on but also made a maple spacer/washer that I turned so they would seat on the shoulder. I did use that the other day with that particular chuck. Seemed to work ok.
Baxter the little Delta 200 that I had before, also did have a longer spindle and came with a steel spacer to place behind the face-plate, but I didn't need it for my Oneway Talon chuck, as it did accommodate the spindle easily, so either a Talon chuck ;), or a steel spacer would do the trick :D
Just make sure the spacer is evenly thick or you will possible introduce wobble, as there is some space between the chuck thread and spindle thread, that is also why a soft spacer is not the best idea :)
Thanks Leo. I will eventually find a steel spacer. The strongholds and other Nova's I have all came with inserts so are fine.

Harry Robinette
04-16-2011, 4:24 PM
Baxter
I believe your problem is NO insert All Nova Super,Super2 and Titan's MUST use an insert the body threads are what Nova calls Z threads they are not meant to screw onto your lathe.They look like 1 1/4 x 8 tpi but they aren't .
I am all most completely positive of this Baxter.Before you use a washer Please contact NOVA I really don't want to see someone hurt.

Baxter Smith
04-16-2011, 8:01 PM
Thanks Harry. I appreciate your concern! The chuck in question screws onto the spindle smoothly. Just not to the shoulder of the spindle. There wouldn't be any room to add an insert and still have it fit.
I meant to give NOVA a call on Friday but got busy with other things.

Fred Belknap
04-17-2011, 8:42 AM
Baxter I don't have the same equipment you do but I did have a similar problem putting a Oneway chuck adapter on my lathe. The spindle and the opening were to close to the same size. I used a diamond file (actually a thing out of a planer sharpener) on it with the lathe running slow. It didn't take much and it fit like a glove. Not sure this would help but it may be something to check.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks Harry. I appreciate your concern! The chuck in question screws onto the spindle smoothly. Just not to the shoulder of the spindle. There wouldn't be any room to add an insert and still have it fit.

Baxter, everything changes and so many things are/were available. If it makes you feel any better I also have a Nova Chuck, an early early model I think, that is directly threaded. No insert. I bought it on the bay on purpose. I actually have 2. One is directly threaded 1x8 tpi for my older lathe and the other is directly threaded 1 1/4 x 8 tpi for my Powermatic. I have enjoyed using them. I fought with so many spindle problems when I first bought my 3520b that I was looking for chucks without adapters to try and rule that all out. I found that I really like the chucks but they didn't solve my problems. A spindle replacement did that in stars.

I went looking for new ones when I tried to find them and Nova apparently stopped making them that way some time ago. So I went used. But I can definitely verify that they used to make them directly threaded. If anyone needs photos to try and compare then I am happy to take some for comparison purposes.

Joshua

Baxter Smith
04-19-2011, 1:22 PM
Fred, the only way filing would work is if I took off a 1/4" from the end of my spindle.:)
Thanks Josh. Just curious since you have a SN2 without an insert that fits, how long is it from the end of the spindle to the shoulder. On my 3520A it is 1.457".

Thanks for all your suggestions. I called NOVA yesterday. They said that the chuck was made to fit their lathes. They didn't carry any adaptors/sleeves and suggested I contact MSC or ENCO. If I couldn't find anything, get something made at a machine shop. I didn't, so I am right where I thought I would end up to begin with.:) Did have a very nice offer from a fellow creeker to make one out of brass or aluminum though which I appreciated!

My brother-in-law has worked in a big machine shop for over 30 years running every lathe in the place. Their blanks may weigh thousands of pounds and cost 10's of thousands of dollars before they even start. He loves the chance to go old school once in a while and get his hands dirty! Comes in handy!

Rob Cunningham
04-20-2011, 1:08 PM
Baxter,
I wouldn't bottom out the chuck against the end of the spindle. You could damage the threads on the spindle and have a real problem getting the chuck off. What size spindle do you have? I may be able to either find or whip up something for you at work.

Baxter Smith
04-21-2011, 9:49 PM
Baxter,
I wouldn't bottom out the chuck against the end of the spindle. You could damage the threads on the spindle and have a real problem getting the chuck off. What size spindle do you have? I may be able to either find or whip up something for you at work.

Thanks Rob! You are the second creeker to make that offer and I appreciate it. My brother-in-law is making one for me. I turned a couple bowls for him last fall that came from a tree in the yard of his former pastor and good friend. He then sent them to Florida as a souvenir of their time in Maine. So he owes me!:) He and my sister will drop it off in a couple of weeks on their way to Florida to visit those people. He should be able to fit it into the saddlbags of his Harley!;)