PDA

View Full Version : Planer Stand Wondering

Dave Richards
01-31-2005, 2:10 PM
I was looking at Roger's very nice planer stand and it got my wheels turning. Not always a good thing but once they get started, it's hard to stop them.

Anybody ever give thought to building a planer stand with a continuous bed? See the enclosed simplified picture. I'm thinking that if the the bed passed through the planer, alignment would be a simple thing.

Granted it would mean disassembly to remove the planer but that doesn't happen too often. Additionally, you would lose a bit of height capacity but I rarely ever need that much capacity on my planer.

Any thoughts?

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2005, 2:20 PM
Someone on another forum did just this thing. He loved it. He angled up the infeed and outfeed ends a little bit (real scientific I know!) and it all but eliminated his snipe. The only thing that I would worry about is to be sure that the surface is smooth enough not to damage what you are running through the planer and that it won't slow down the work through the planer. Also, make sure no fasteners are used under the cutter head, don't want to hit a screw with those knives!

Dan Stuewe
01-31-2005, 2:46 PM
If you've got the room, go for it! That is the ideal. For the most part the portability is too important. That's where fold up tables come in. I have seen where folks will use the long table as needed and remove and store the table as warrented.

Dave Richards
01-31-2005, 2:49 PM
I should have added that I was thinking of a table about 4' long and then hinged leaves beyond.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-31-2005, 6:31 PM
I built one like that for my 22-540 Delta planer. It was the only thing I could do to get rid of snipe. It didn't eliminate it entirely, but it reduced it to sandable levels.

Lou Morrissette
01-31-2005, 7:18 PM
Dave,

I bought my first Delta planer used from a guitar maker. He had removed the stock tables and epoxied a piece of 3/4" MDF with formica top through the planer. It was about 4' long. It worked great for me and now my son has it in his shop. Still works great and very little snipe.

Lou

Jerry Olexa
01-31-2005, 11:12 PM
Dave , I've seen the continuous bed used w a planer w very good results. The owner made it removable for storage . Only negative I see is you lose an inch or so vertical on the planer opening. Concept sounds good and should work..

Jay Albrandt
02-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Dave,

Used 1/8" angle and simple melamine for the base. Wood stretchers between the angle is used to fine tune the flatness of the bed. I put in on top of my tool chest so it is a comfortable working height.

Jay