PDA

View Full Version : Safety and hair length...

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2011, 3:52 PM
This is a terrible story, but one that should be shared for those with long hair that turn, or that teach others with long hair.

Thinks happen so quickly. I think everyone understands the message here.
Safety first - Eyes, ears, nose/mouth, jewelry off, hair back, no loose clothing near rotation....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_yale_student_dies

Dan Forman
04-13-2011, 4:02 PM
A sad story indeed, reminds of the close call the wife of one of our members had a few days ago.

Dan

Steve Vaughan
04-13-2011, 4:07 PM
Just saw that on tv. Yup, very sad.

Dick Wilson
04-13-2011, 4:47 PM
Tim, I had a young lady student one time who was going to start turning with hair all the way down her back. I had one of the other students let her use a ball cap. I told her to stick it all under the hat. I always teach beginners NO LONG SLEEVES DOWN, NO WATCHES, AND IF YOU CAN GET THEM OFF NO RINGS. It can happen so fast you are looking at serious injury.

ray hampton
04-13-2011, 7:24 PM
the lathe that she was using need two keys that had to be turn at the same time to start the lathe someone need to be watching the students at all time, a fan could had blew her hair into the lathe rotating parts

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2011, 10:32 PM
That is sad. I stopped wearing my wedding ring after it almost caught one time. So no watches or rings anymore.

Ralph Lindberg
04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Tim
A sad story and a timely reminder

It was just last week my wife had her hair caught in the chuck of one of our lathes. Fortunately she only lost a few strands.

She now has a rig to keep her hair behind her at all times

John Keeton
04-14-2011, 8:01 AM
Now that I have long hair, I am much more conscious of that situation, and I quit wearing a ring 25 years ago when I nearly pulled a finger off by catching the ring on a screw in step coming down from a deerstand.

Alan Trout
04-14-2011, 9:24 AM
Very sad story indeed.

As a teenager I was operating a brake lathe and my shirt got caught in it. The stop switch was on the other end of the machine. I leaned back as hard as I could and it ripped the shirt completely off of my back. Had some pretty good fabric burns on my neck, arms and back. After that my shirt was always tucked in and no jewelry around any equipment. Lesson learned.

After my dad retired from the Air force in 1971 he was finishing up his industrial arts degree. In the lab on the bulliten board there was a chunk of scalp with long hair from one of the students in that department that got his hair caught in a metal lathe. He did not loose his life but sure got a painful reminder to keep his long hair tied back. The department head kept it pinned to the bulliten board as a reminder for everyone.

Alan

Jim Burr
04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
A tragic reminder to all of us that despite the fact we are all professionals in the shop, we are also the most prone to short cuts. I did that with a table saw 8-9 years ago; 3 surgeries, 65 stiches, a pin and a bone graft...I think about that everytime I walk into the shop...and I still find myself taking a short cut or two.

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 9:49 PM
This is such a sad story and a tragic reminder that crazy things can happen in the shop. There was just a post the other day of a young guy screwing around with a lathe and looking like he broke his leg. This is something to share with your friends and local chapter members to remind us all not to get to comfortable around our tools. My heart goes out to this young ladies family.