PDA

View Full Version : No. 35 - Walnut Crotch Bowl

James Combs
04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I wanted this bowl to just show off the wood so you won't see in accenting details or adornments. It is very utilitarian and ready for fruit, chips or even a whole bag of popery. The wood was fairly green so it went through the DNA process. I still had some problems with tear-out. I think I am about ready for a new insert on my finishing gouge.

Stats:
Material = Walnut Crotch.
Diameter = 9.5"
Height = 2.75"
Wall Thickness = 5/16"-3/8"
Finish = One coat of Danish oil to this point. More coming and buffing.

Compare the last photo, inside the bowl, to this doctored one. The doctored one is what I was hoping for but when I returned it I wasn't watching what taking more of the inside out was doing. It actually looked very similar to this when I started. I should have take most of my sizing cuts on the outside which would have keep more dark heart wood inside. Oh well I will know better next time.

C&C Welcomed.

Art Manansala
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Beautiful job. I really like the contrasts. To be honest, I like the finished producted better than the doctored image...

Art

Roger Chandler
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
pretty good stuff there JD! Walnut can be a striking wood when you have such a contrast of sap wood and heart wood. Good job on this!

Tim Thiebaut
04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Very nice bowl, and what a cool piece of wood to!

Jim Burr
04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Great way to display that beautiful chunk of walnut...I'm for peanuts!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Very nice bowl out of some really nice contrasting walnut. Well done.

Dan Forman
04-13-2011, 4:27 PM
Nice combination of sap/heart wood.

Dan

Roland Martin
04-13-2011, 4:45 PM
Nice contrasts, James and beautifully useful.

David E Keller
04-13-2011, 4:47 PM
Nice looking bowl... You've got some serious photo doctoring skills, too.

John Hart
04-13-2011, 7:49 PM
Yeah...quite the photoshopper! I like the bowl....undoctored and doctored. Nice job!

Gary Conklin
04-13-2011, 8:05 PM
Both the Dr. photos and the actual look great. The contrast of sap and heartwood is phenomenal! Nicely executed!

John Keeton
04-13-2011, 9:13 PM
Nice work, JD! The caveat, of course, is never trust pics of turnings from a Photoshop pro!!! No telling what we will be seeing from JD!!

Deane Allinson
04-13-2011, 9:15 PM
Nice bowl! I actually prefer the un-doctored bowl. The only down-side that I have found with turning so far is symmetry. There's nothing too symmetrical about that bowl.
Deane

Baxter Smith
04-13-2011, 9:23 PM
Pretty bowl James. Your pictures are an excellent example (IMO) of the difference between good and great. It may have not been possible to get what you wanted with this piece but... I know I have done several where I wished I had taken a little more care in reorienting the blank, or gone back and changed the curve on the outside when something exciting appeared on the inside. I didn't bother to take the time then, but kicked myself later for not doing it.

Donny Lawson
04-13-2011, 9:44 PM
1st off, this is a long time comming my"1000th" post. Now back to the bowl. I have to say that is one extreamly beautiful bowl. I LOVE the contrasting wood design. I look for this kind of wood and something out of the ordinary and different. This meets and exceeds what I look for. People here would go crazy for this bowl. I will keep an eye out for this. The sapwood adds so much to this. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Donny - Congrats on your 1000th post! It is a milestone worthy of notice!

James - great looking bowl! I like the bowl as is - when things get too symmetrical - it loses something. Sure is some beautiful wood! You should be very happy with this one!

Michelle Rich
04-14-2011, 7:43 AM
pretty bowl & useful too. What more can anyone need or want? 2 thumbs up

James Combs
04-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments, they are all appreciated.

Great way to display that beautiful chunk of walnut...I'm for peanuts!!

Jim I should have thought of peanuts myself, I love em.

Nice looking bowl... You've got some serious photo doctoring skills, too.

Yeah...quite the photoshopper! I like the bowl....undoctored and doctored. Nice job!

Nice work, JD! The caveat, of course, is never trust pics of turnings from a Photoshop pro!!! No telling what we will be seeing from JD!!

David, John, John, and I bet you guys thought I was turning all these bowls I picture.:D The bowl number is just my way of counting how many times I have been creative in Photoshop.:D:rolleyes:;)

Pretty bowl James. Your pictures are an excellent example (IMO) of the difference between good and great. It may have not been possible to get what you wanted with this piece but... I know I have done several where I wished I had taken a little more care in reorienting the blank, or gone back and changed the curve on the outside when something exciting appeared on the inside. I didn't bother to take the time then, but kicked myself later for not doing it.

Baxter it was almost a perfect "Y" before turning it, very symmetrical. However, I do agree with some of the other posters that the more random look is better eye candy. I was just hoping to get the symmetry to see what it would look like.

1st off, this is a long time comming my"1000th" post. Now back to the bowl. I have to say that is one extreamly beautiful bowl. I LOVE the contrasting wood design. I look for this kind of wood and something out of the ordinary and different. This meets and exceeds what I look for. People here would go crazy for this bowl. I will keep an eye out for this. The sapwood adds so much to this. Thanks for sharing.

Donny, I don't really get to sell a lot of my stuff, mostly give it to charity or to friends and family as gifts so I don't get a chance to see how "crazy" people might be for it. In the case of this one it is going to the guy that gave me the walnut, a friends father-in-law.

Donny - Congrats on your 1000th post! It is a milestone worthy of notice!
James - great looking bowl! I like the bowl as is - when things get too symmetrical - it loses something. Sure is some beautiful wood! You should be very happy with this one!

Thanks Steve, like I told Baxter, it was more of curiosity to see what it would look like then actually liking the symmetry.

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I think the wood yielded a really interesting piece. I like the simple lines. I think that user bowls are great pieces and really speak to the talent of the turner. Nice work Jim.