PDA

View Full Version : Question on keeping Amboyna burl from warping

Darin Hornsby
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
OK, so this is likely one of the most discussed topics- avoiding warping, but this is slightly different. I cut a ~1/4" thick by 3" X 4" Amboyna burl. The point is for this to be a flat base for holding my razor and badger brush. I put the piece in DA for a few days (maybe closer to a week)- no warping. I now have it drying under a big stack of wood to keep it flat while it continues to dry (I have newspaper sandwitched between them with the ends open to air).

How long would you guys recommend me keeping it there? Since I'm lacking any scientific data like moisture content, I'm seeking rough guesses.

Thanks! Darin

Jim Burr
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I've always turned kiln dried Amboyna and even some of that has a little twist sometimes. I'd follow the 1 inch per year thing in the absence of anything concrete.

Joe Pfeifer
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I generally weigh anything I cut green and re-weigh it every couple of weeks. When it stops losing weight, it's dry enough to turn.

John Hart
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I was down at Berea Hardwoods the other day and picked up a few pieces of Eucalyptus Burl. I told the guy that I would most likely make a vase body with it, and attach a mouth and stem of a different species to it.
He told me that with burls like that....after you turn it to about 3/16 or so...throw it in DNA overnight, then let it sit for a couple days and that oughta do it.

I sez to him I sez, "What?!! a couple days!! That don't make no sense. Don't you mean a couple weeks or more?"

He look at me wit wide eyes and say, "Don't you go arguin' wit me you smart aleck little mouthy...I'll go git ma stick and beat the....."

I ran off.

Thought you should know. :)

Darin Hornsby
04-13-2011, 1:29 PM
John, so far my experience (very little) with DNA has been shockingly good. I keep waiting for things that are finished to one day just explode into crazed warping & cracking, but so far I have not seen a single crack in a couple of items I've done. I think I'm going to wait another week or so and give it a go. I think the real question is: "Am I feeling lucky? Well, do I?" :-)

John Hart
04-13-2011, 1:41 PM
Well...I'll tell ya, punk....I think you'll be ok. :)

I think 1/4" slabs are pretty easy to deal with, and I discussed the matter of DNA with our molecular biologists and molecular chemists here at work about the subject, and they all agree that the DNA is going to permeate the cell walls, bond with the water, evaporate quick, make the wood less apt to warp...all that stuff.

So between the PhD's and the crazy guy at Berea Hardwoods....I say you ok

Darin Hornsby
04-13-2011, 2:11 PM
Would those PhD's have any insight on how deep DNA can penetrate given a few weeks? I realize it would greatly depend on the type of wood.

You know, this is what I really like about this board- I ask a question and get molecular biologists responding!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-13-2011, 2:43 PM
John,
Did anyone ever tell you your wit is missed when you not here?
faust

John Hart
04-13-2011, 2:46 PM
Yeah...supposedly, if you wait long enough and are using 99.9% pure DNA or IPA, the alcohol will completely displace the water and the wood will actually dry while wet with alcohol. I've thought about running a couple experiments with that....but never got a roundtuit.

They never discussed the travel time through the wood, although they did discuss the stark similarity of endgrain to a drinking straw.

Like...you could turn an endgrain hollowform (you know...like where the endgrain is on the foot and the top/shoulder....stick it in a bath of IPA....pull a vacuum on the top of the form...and it will fill with IPA all the way up the interior of the walls...then let it sit for a few days...then let it drain, and theoretically, it'll be dry.

I dunno....I'm just a geek.

John Hart
04-13-2011, 2:56 PM
John,
Did anyone ever tell you your wit is missed when you not here?
faust

Nope. Usually, when I'm not here, my wife is yelling at me about something :eek: