PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Ashley Isles MK2 Chisels

Mike Holbrook
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
It seems that the backs of these chisels are a little dished or "hollow ground". I found information on one of the sites that sells them which mentions this. The front blades are apparently ground on a wheel, "hollow ground" too.

I have been sharpening them with my new Sigma Power and Select 2 stones. With these stones and the hollow grinding there isn't very much steel actually being abraded by the stones and they get quite sharp fast. I assume this is why Ashley Isles grinds their chisels this way.

I was just wondering if other Ashley Isles users were working with the hollow grinds these chisels come with or if some were grinding the faces back flat? The information I read indicated that the hollow grind on the backs is minor, which must be why I did not see it until I started working them on the stones.

Jon Toebbe
04-13-2011, 10:42 AM
From my understanding, they don't grind the backs hollow at all. When the chisel blank is formed it has a tendency to warp slightly. The maker then grinds the bevel on the side opposite the hollow. As you've discovered, a slight hollow is no big deal (and can be an advantage in getting the cutting edge polished quickly). A convex back would be a nightmare to correct.

I worked the backs of mine until the whole cutting edge was bright and shiny and then got to work on the bevel. Terrifyingly sharp in not much time at all. I think I spent about an hour total setting up my set of six when I got them new. Just chasing the wire edge has been sufficient to keep the back flat where it counts -- a bit like a Japanese chisel in that regard.

David Weaver
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Hollow grind the bevel, yes. Fastest way to keep them sharp and make sure you are getting your fine scratches all the way to the edge on the bevel side.

The back, don't worry about as long as the chisel is polished at the cutting edge on the back of the bevel. There's no good reason to lap any apparent hollow out of the back. There's more reason not to.

george wilson
04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
A bit of hollow on the back is of no concern.

Mike Holbrook
04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I get a polishes line on the top and bottom of the top bevel. I also get a similar polished area right at the tip on the back with smaller polished areas on the sides.

I started on the first chisel with the idea of "flattening" the back. Then I realized the stone was only touching the edges. So I determined that grinding either side flat might actually be wasted time that would make even more work later. My only question was concerning a micro bevel. I was not sure there was room for a micro bevel but at the same time I did not think it was necessary with the hollow grind.

I can shave slivers of paper with my sharpened blades which I believe is as sharp as I will need. I like the chisels, very comfy in the hand. Thanks for the thoughts guys.