PDA

View Full Version : A Night With The Stars

Bob Bergstrom
04-13-2011, 9:31 AM
I was asked to do the critique last night for the Chicago Wood Turners. It was an night I will treasure for the rest of my life. As I looked around the room I realized that I was associating with some very well known turners. As I viewed the room there was Alan Turner in the 3rd. row, up and coming creeker Mark Hubl, standing on the side was Binh Pho. Fellow creeker Joe Menrhaeghe and Steve Sinner bought in one of Joe's beautiful tall vases and were in the back. We had about 35 pieces to look at and the time flew by. The demo for the night was Alan Carter talking about his suspended vessels. At the end of the evening I volunteered to be a video assistant at the St. Paul AAW Symposium. The Chicago Woodturners are a fantastic group and I would recommend it to anyone close or coming through the Chicago area.

David E Keller
04-13-2011, 9:36 AM
Jealous... Very jealous.

I'm happy just to meet another turner... I can't imagine being able to pick the brains of such a talented group.

Jim Underwood
04-13-2011, 3:04 PM
Color me green too.

Maybe I should just move to Chicago...

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2011, 3:27 PM
That's very cool. I think it says alot for the character of those whose work we look up to, to be fairly regular at local club meetings, and not just the major events/shows.

Dan Forman
04-13-2011, 4:09 PM
Sounds like a very high concentration of talent! Critiquing is not an easy job - in addition to recognizing and calling attention to the elements that make a piece work, one has to be diplomatic and encouraging about the less successful pieces.

Dan

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-13-2011, 9:17 PM
Let's not forget the cool bowl brought in by Bob Bergstrom !
It was a pleasure to meet you there Bob. I was hoping to meet Mark Hubl last night too, but some how I didn't get to it. (hopfully I'll get to meet Mark the next time we come to Chicago). Being a 3 plus hrs drive from home we couldn't stay until the end. I didn't get home until around 1 am. and I had to get up for work at 4:45 am. It made for a really short night & long day today but it was worth it. Like you said it was a great night.
Joe

I was asked to do the critique last night for the Chicago Wood Turners. It was an night I will treasure for the rest of my life. As I looked around the room I realized that I was associating with some very well known turners. As I viewed the room there was Alan Turner in the 3rd. row, up and coming creeker Mark Hubl, standing on the side was Binh Pho. Fellow creeker Joe Menrhaeghe and Steve Sinner bought in one of Joe's beautiful tall vases and were in the back. We had about 35 pieces to look at and the time flew by. The demo for the night was Alan Carter talking about his suspended vessels. At the end of the evening I volunteered to be a video assistant at the St. Paul AAW Symposium. The Chicago Woodturners are a fantastic group and I would recommend it to anyone close or coming through the Chicago area.

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Sounds like it would have been a lot of fun! I always enjoy our club meetings - partially because you get to socialize with fellow turners but also because I always learn something new to try out!

Any chance your club has a newsletter that the rest of us can see - once it is published?

Bob Bergstrom
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM
When you get in the room with those guys they are just one of the members. it is amazing how willing each is to just talk with all the members and I would have to say that all egos are left at the door. Each one is a true person.

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Nice job on the critique Bob. I am just a squatter up North. I am sure they will get a membership out of me. That will be three. I am lucky to me in the middle of the three chapters. Chicago is definetly the busy club. Lots of talent in the room and great gallery. Steve, google Chicago Woodturners. They have a very good web page with newsletters.

I was hoping to meet Mark Hubl last night too, but some how I didn't get to it. (hopfully I'll get to meet Mark the next time we come to Chicago). Being a 3 plus hrs drive from home we couldn't stay until the end.

Funny thing Joe, I was standing by you talking to Steve. You guys were pretty overwhelmed at the break. The tools looked great. I was really eyeing one of those little tool rests. The steady rests looked awfully good too. One of these days I will have to jump on my motorcycle and come out to the quad city meeting. Sounds like you guys have a great club.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Mark - thanks for the reference. Found the website and will check things out!

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-15-2011, 9:21 AM
Sorry I missed you Mark.
As you may know I've been working with Steve in his studio doing collaborations for a few yrs now. That said I may be a little bias but I use the tools ( boring bars, lasers,tool rest, & steady rest) Steve & Sarge ( his partner in Advanced Lathe Tools LLC ) make a couple of days a week at his studio. I also own & use them in my own shop too.
That said I'll tell you all the tools they make are quality made & for heavy duty use.
Also we'd love to have you come down & visit our club in the Quad Cities. Maybe you could do our critique. It's always nice to have a visitor do a critique. We meet on the 3rd Tuesday each month. Yes we do have a excellent facility & shop for our club.
Contact me if you want to come & maybe I can arrange for you to tour Steve,s Studio before the meeting. It's something to see.

Funny thing Joe, I was standing by you talking to Steve. You guys were pretty overwhelmed at the break. The tools looked great. I was really eyeing one of those little tool rests. The steady rests looked awfully good too. One of these days I will have to jump on my motorcycle and come out to the quad city meeting. Sounds like you guys have a great club.

Bob Bergstrom
04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
The Chicago Woodturners won the first place award at the 2010 AAW. convention for best newsletter. It and their web site are among the best and a great read for everyone. Enjoy.