PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
01-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. Been wet and dreary here in Arkansas and I would really like to have some sunshine sometime soon.

I have finished the major construction and finishing of the latest knife box. I will be posting pics this week. I'm also trying to match a finish on a hall seat for a guy at work since we had to make a new lid for it. I hope to also have it ready for install by Tuesday night of this week.

I really need to stop taking more work. I am at the point now to where I simply want to have FUN in the shop and not have a 2nd or 3rd job to work. I now see that woodworking for money is NOT fun at all and that my hobby has quickly become another J.O.B.!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of Weeks to you all......

Bob Hovde
01-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Too cold to work on Saturday. SWMBO helped on Sunday by putting on the plug covers in the new shop while I was moving things around in the garage - trying to figure out some way to get ORDER in the place. SWMBO says I can start using the new lathe as soon as both cars fit in the garage. I'm almost to the point where I can take some pictures - shop and garage!

Bob

Fred LeBail
01-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, weather had been very cold until Saturday at noon. Got shop all warmed up in A.M. and continued on with rough turning bowls. I got a large (11") Maple burl roughed out after much hard work and many sharpenings. Several more blanks made it to the Alkie soup. On the last maple blank of the day I got a terrible catch that tore the blank out of the chuck and Hyper-extended my thumb and index finger.
That blank also made it to the soup, but yesterday was spent inside and resting my hand.
Causes of this incident were , 1. getting tired
2. Gouge not sharpened enough.
As long as I can learn from those 2 mistakes things should be all right.
Better luck next week-end!

Fred

Keith Christopher
01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
finished up the mirror waiting on the glass to arrive. Also put in some time in tool tune up. i.e. TS, router table. . . long overdue. Oh made some bread which was cool.

Scott Coffelt
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Watched some movies "The Forgotten" and "Without A Paddle". Both were very good.

Cleaned out a bedroom, moving stuff to the neices apartment. Fixed nail holes, removed about 50 rolls worth of scotch tape fromt he walls and the painted.

Built PEZ dispenser stands for a client. I'll try and post pics on another posting tonight. She collects them little PEZ thingy's and has over 200 hundred of them. When you try and display them if one falls, well it's like dominos. The stands hold them.

While at the lumber store buying Poplar for the PEZ stands, I saw and bought a beautiful piece of Cherry 8/4 stock, 20 bdft and full of curly. I also bought a piece of 8/4 Curly Ash. The Cherry will be used in the new house. Changed our minds and have decided to make our Master Bath cabinets out of cherry instead of Maple. It should make some nice drawer fronts and doors. No plans for the Ash.

Man, was so busy did not get to enjoy the weekend. Wife said she hardly saw me. :rolleyes:

Bob Winkler
01-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Celebrated another daughter's birthday.

Read a couple of books on turning. Setup my new mini lathe and turned my first 2x4. (trust me, you don't want to see the pics)

Hung a new shop wall cabinet and light fixture.

Watched UCONN get beat by Notre Dame twice (men and women's BBall):mad:

Bob

Steven Wilson
01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Started working on some new fishing rods. I turned cork handles for a fly rod and a 6' light spinning rig. I'll post some pictures once I have the guides on and finished. It's kind of fun turning cork on the lathe. I use a roughing gouge to clean up the cork glue up (a bunch of 1/2" thick rings) and then 80 grit sandpaper to shape.

Mark Rhodes
01-31-2005, 12:20 PM
I was heading to my first WW show in Atlanta with money and the LOML bessing but they had a little Ice storm which put that flame out. So i stayed in Sat and spent time learning CAD (Designing a wine bar) Sunday I was able to work on the King headboard im making (the curves are killing me), Went to lowes and picked up a PC Biscut joiner.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I went and bought the filters for my Air Cleaner. Got it all built and even hung it by myself. It seems to work great! Now the last thing to do is to upgrade my HF DC to a canister and I am breathing cleaner air.

Jack Diemer
01-31-2005, 1:22 PM
Traveled all week for business, and was totally lazy on Saturday. Sunday was Pinewood Derby. Our car wasn't real fast, but my son won the Judge's Choice award for his design (dog driving a bone aka "USA BOW WOW").

See Pictures in Off Topic Forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16062

Jim Becker
01-31-2005, 1:33 PM
Well...I "thought" about woodworking this weekend! The shop was way-cold and we had some other activities planned that just didn't allow for any dust making. I wanted to get out to the shop for at least a little while to turn a "tamper" for our new espresso machine (one would think that something so expensive would come with something not made of flimsy plastic...) but it didn't happen. Perhaps next weekend, especially if it stays a little warmer as they are calling for.

Jim Fancher
01-31-2005, 2:16 PM
I tried out a few new router bits ($5 Woodcraft) and cleaned the garage a little. I've come to the conclusion that I need to build a clamp rack. What I was using kind of fell off the wall. :)

I also did a bunch of geeky stuff like reloaded the OS on my notebook and leased another webserver.

Stefan Antwarg
01-31-2005, 3:23 PM
Started working on the legs for a nightstand. Also went to Middletown Lumber in PA. and bought a sheet of cherry plywood for the same project.

Stefan

David Fried
01-31-2005, 3:36 PM
Having torn up the floor in the mud room last weekend to fix the frozen pipes that burst, I spent most of this weekend cleaning it up, insulating pipes, insulating between the joists, installing sub-flooring (screwed down - just in case), and hooking up the washer and dryer.

I did get a a couple of risers for the new grinder cut and installed, the stand assembled, and the Wolverine jig attached. I sharpened my roughing gouge and skew. They really needed it. I tested them by turning a pen and a small spindle to replace a missing chair rung. They are a joy to use now.

No photos until I figure out what is up with the camera. The computer says the camera is empty. The camera says it's memory is full. ???? Something to ponder as I try to catch up on the laundry! (small children can dirty their own weight in clothes - daily.)

Jerry Ingraham
01-31-2005, 4:11 PM
Built the second of two built-in bookcases for our fireplace. Have both carcases built now need to build two drawers and four doors. Bought low voltage lights to illuminate the open shelves and will install them next weekend. After these are done it's time to install my cyclone and plumbing.

Alfred Hoffmann
01-31-2005, 10:01 PM
With the shop in the basement SWMBO is getting more vocal on all the dust being created and thrown around the house. A DC JDS14031 is on order and should be here next week. The smaller vaccuum units just aren't taking care of the dust created when sanding. So here is my downdraft table I just finished based on a design I saw in one of the pictures attachewd to a previous message. I don't remember the author.

Al Hoffmann

Alfred Hoffmann
01-31-2005, 10:04 PM
I tried to attache a couple of pictures but they are not coming across as they should. Can someone explain why? Here is another one by itself

Sam Chambers
01-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Got iced in on Saturday, as did all my guitar students, so I slept in late. Very late. Couldn't get to the Woodworking Show, so I got started turning some pens for the Freedom Pens Project. Cut 20 blanks out of some cherry I had lying around, drilled all the holes, glued up enough for 5 pens, turned 4, but haven't assembled any yet. I'll post pics when this batch of 20 is done.

Went to the Woodworking Show with a buddy. Had fun watching him spend money.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-01-2005, 9:16 AM
Got my truck's new 355 runnin'!! Now I can clean up the shop and get started on finishing my workbench. Sure runs sweet...

Now where did I put those tools? :eek: