PDA

View Full Version : Mark Hubl on WoW

David DeCristoforo
04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Mark's very beautiful "twisted" box got the WoW cover tonight. Check it out...

Alan Trout
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
very cool and well done and deserved.

Baxter Smith
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Congrats Mark. That was a very out of the box piece!

Tim Thiebaut
04-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Congrats Mark!

Kathy Marshall
04-13-2011, 1:01 AM
Congrats Mark!

John Hart
04-13-2011, 5:44 AM
Congratulations Mark. I really liked that piece. :)

John Keeton
04-13-2011, 5:53 AM
Not surprising! Congrats, Mark - a well deserved honor.

David E Keller
04-13-2011, 7:30 AM
Congrats! It's a great piece and some well deserved recognition.

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2011, 8:14 AM
Great job Mark and I echo DD's comments on WoW about the hex. I think it really ties the end off nicely.
Well done. So...when does the 'full-size' version come? I was very surprised at the size of this. It's difficult for many to get shapes/proportions right on smaller items...you've done well.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2011, 9:58 AM
Congrats Mark. Well deserved.

kevin nee
04-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I have seen people making the cover of WOW
Please tell me what WOW is Thanks

Scott Hackler
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Congrats Mark. Funny thing is that when you posted this project I thought to myself that this was cover material for WoW!!

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2011, 5:03 PM
Mark - just had a chance to check out your most recent cover - beautiful work! Love everything about it! Congrats on getting the recognition - well deserved!

Matt Newton
04-13-2011, 5:35 PM
All these kudos for a picture some of us would really like to see. How do you get on WoW? If its by invitation only, would someone please send me an invite or stop teasing us.

Robert McGowen
04-13-2011, 6:06 PM
Congrats, Mark!

Dick Wilson
04-13-2011, 6:17 PM
Way to go Mark. I have no idea how you went about producing that piece. It is a real head scratcher.

Mark Hubl
04-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks all for the much appreciated support. It is nice to have your work singled out for a day by a pretty talented crowd and an incredible portfolio on a daily basis.

I have seen people making the cover of WOW
Please tell me what WOW is Thanks

All these kudos for a picture some of us would really like to see. How do you get on WoW? If its by invitation only, would someone please send me an invite or stop teasing us.

Guys, wow stands for the World of Wood turners. It is an interesting community that is visited and supported by some wonderfully talented artists. It is open to everyone but you must be invited. PM one of your friends that belongs and they can send you an invite if they have your email. I am not quite sure how to do the invites but I am sure it is not too difficult. The site has some calendar information, and a bit of a forum, but it is really a hopping gallery. The amount of work and galleries there provide much inspiration and admiration of what can be done in this game. P.S. I posted this piece a couple of weeks ago here, same pics.

Way to go Mark. I have no idea how you went about producing that piece. It is a real head scratcher.

Dick, Really straight forward old fashion twist work. This type of work was very popular at the beginning of the 20th century. Many popular household items had twists. The key is to setting up the bines and then removing the wood. A bit oversimplified but once you have done a couple you will get it. This piece was done with power tools, but no jigs or lathe. If you google twist or flame finial you will find lots of info on how to do this type of work. In recent time Stuart Mortimer has been the beacon on this type of work and has made it his signature piece.

kevin nee
04-15-2011, 9:03 AM
Hello, , Could someone hook me up with an invite to join WOW.
Thank you, Kevin Nee kpni@charter.net

Bill Neddow
04-15-2011, 9:20 AM
Kevin, it is by invitation only, and I will invite you. the reason for this invitation requirement is that World of Woodturning was started at the time a bunch of hackers, religious nuts and outright obscene individuals took over rec.crafts.woodturning, which used to be an incredible site. It was a university education in woodturning, just like this site, WoodCentral and WoW (as well as several others, now). I will also send an invite to others who want to join, after I have checked out their participation here to make sure they are legitimate woodturners. I am at bill.neddow@sympatico.com. Please send me a message there.

Bill Neddow
04-15-2011, 9:28 AM
Matt, send me your e-mail and I will invite you. Bill Neddow

bill.neddow@sympatico.ca