PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meters

Donny Lawson
04-12-2011, 9:17 PM
My old Moisture meter gave it up and died on me the other day and I'm in the market for another one. It was a MD-4G. What kind do you reccommend? I've thought of a 2 pin type this time.

Jeff Fagen
04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
I have the "Cen-Tech" digital mini moisture meter,two prong one control button.Also gives temp.Works great,$12.00 from H F

Reed Gray
04-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I never use one. If I pick up a piece of wood and it is still cool to the touch, it is too green. Let it dry till you think it is done, then let it dry some more.

robo hippy

John Keeton
04-13-2011, 6:38 AM
Donny, while their function is quite limited for turning, I have had this one for several years (used it in flat work) and it has served me very well. Still has the original batteries in it!! About $100, but a quality piece. It has received good comments on SMC from flatworkers.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XcZ6EnIAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Donny Lawson
04-13-2011, 6:44 AM
Is there any difference in the 2 pin or 4 pin model? Mine was a 4 pin type but I think a 2 pin type might be better.

John Keeton
04-13-2011, 7:00 AM
Donny, I honestly don't know. When I bought this one, I researched SMC and the Lignomat got rave reviews for dependability and simplicity - the two qualities I was after. As you probably know, the key is that you have to open up the wood. When I was buying flatstock, I always cut a board from the load, and checked the moisture reading inside the wood. The surface will read much drier than the interior, obviously, but it can be a marked difference.

John Hart
04-13-2011, 8:53 AM
If I am interested in the moisture content of roughed out blank, I just use a 9V battery and a multimeter, and then read from a chart. Kinda fun that way....but then I'm kinda a geek that way :)

Scott T Smith
04-13-2011, 9:41 AM
Donny, the Lignomat meters have a good reputation amongst woodworkers.

Many professional kiln operators and lumber manufacturers use meters by Delmhorst (pin type) and Merlin (pinless). Both are extremely accurate. Merlin makes several different meters depending upon the application (veneer, large timbers, 4/4 material, etc).

Michael Mills
04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
I have a Delmhorst J-Lite but I can't compare it to anything. About $75 on the bay.

Jon Nuckles
04-13-2011, 1:06 PM
Fine Woodworking reviewed pin-type moisture meters recently (issue #210). Best overall was the mini-Ligno E/D (the one JK showed) and the best value was the Electrophysics MT90 (for $66).