PDA

View Full Version : First bowl with new lathe

Donny Lawson
04-12-2011, 8:53 PM
This is a dogwood bowl I roughed out tonight. I'm trying to get used to the new lathe. It sure was nice to get to turn from the end of the lathe than having to reach over the lathe bed.

Keith E Byrd
04-12-2011, 9:22 PM
Looking good Donny - isn't it fun cranking up the new lathe?

David E Keller
04-12-2011, 9:54 PM
Congrats on the maiden voyage!

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2011, 9:57 PM
Looks like you are breaking it in right! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the bowl once it is finished!

Richard Jones
04-12-2011, 9:59 PM
Donny, nice dark meat in that dogwood. Did you slide the headstock down just for hollowing? Tailstock on the outside? Just curious.

Everything work OK? Nice and smooth running machine?

Us Jet guys gotta stick together...........

Rich

John Keeton
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Donny, that is a big chunk of dogwood!! Usually don't get that big around here because of the blight. Looks really good on that Jet! Very convenient being able to slide the headstock down - great feature.

Gary Conklin
04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Sweet, turning time!! Looks like a good start there!

Dan Forman
04-12-2011, 10:47 PM
There you go! Wish I had room to turn down at the end like that. Bet it won't be long at all until you're very comfortable with the jet.

Michael James
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Very nice, Mr. Lawson..indeed! New shop more better than ever! :D

Greg Just
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Donny:

Thanks for the pictures. Is that the 1.5 hp model? If so I just got the same one and never gave much thought to sliding the headstock down to work on a bowl. I will certainly give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Baxter Smith
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Congrats on getting it up and running Donny. Nice piece of dogwood too!

Ken Hill
04-13-2011, 6:32 AM
Being able to do bowl work at the end of the lathe is making my wallet make noises!

Donny Lawson
04-13-2011, 6:32 AM
Donny:

Thanks for the pictures. Is that the 1.5 hp model? If so I just got the same one and never gave much thought to sliding the headstock down to work on a bowl. I will certainly give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Greg, it is the 1 1/2hp model. I thought about the 2hp model but I also wanted a nice wood burner so for the difference in the price I ordered me a good burner too. It should be here today or tomorrow.Sliding the headstock to the end for hollowing is a great thing. It beats reaching over the lathe bed. This feature should be standard on all lathes.

Donny Lawson
04-13-2011, 6:39 AM
Donny, that is a big chunk of dogwood!! Usually don't get that big around here because of the blight. Looks really good on that Jet! Very convenient being able to slide the headstock down - great feature.

John, That's some dogwood from a tree brought home last week. I wondered if it was really dogwood since it was so big but there was some limbs left on one piece and it is dogwood. I've got some pieces that is 16" across. This stuff is beautiful. It's great to be able to slide the headstock. That will be used alot.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Looking good Donny. Nice looking bowl for the maiden voyage.

Roland Martin
04-13-2011, 5:07 PM
Congrats on getting the Jet going! Ain't it great?? The sliding headstock is absolutely a great feature. Nice shop you've got there also.

John W Dixon
04-13-2011, 5:10 PM
Donny, glad you are getting it broken in. Ya know I have never slid my headstock all the way down to turn a bowl, what the heck is my problem. Looks like it worked out well for you.