PDA

View Full Version : 3hp router table or 1 1/2 hp shaper

Mark Rhodes
01-31-2005, 10:29 AM
I have heard that there are benefits to both, it seems that the money would bethe same but what would be a better overall tool? If you cold only have one.

Doug Shepard
01-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Well if I could have only one, it would have to be the router. There's just too many times that I have to bring the tool to the work, instead of the other way around. That shaper is just too heavy to hold upside down, much less control as you run it over your stock.

Mark Rhodes
01-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks Doug! thats rich.... 1000 comedians out of work and your cracking jokes.

Charlie Plesums
01-31-2005, 11:16 AM
I just got my first shaper (and sold my router table), It is awesome in power, precision, and stability, and can drive router bits at low rpm (up to 9,000, rather than 25,000 rpm or so). Panel raising that previously took 3-4 passes is now done in one pass (even using the same bit).

But I still have my hand router.

Mark Rhodes
01-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Charlie,
Thanks for the info. BTW what did you buy?

Don Selke
01-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Mark:
I have both a router table with Hitachi TR-12 router and a shaper. I use the router table most of the time due to ease of set-up and variety plus cost of bits. The shaper is used to make raised panel doors and for other heavy work requiring large bits. If I had to decide between the two, would start off with a good router table and good router. You need to ask the question what and how often am I going to use the shaper. If you are going to be making lots of doors and raised panels, then you can justify the cost of cutters and the cost of the machine. Would not buy nothing less then a 3/4" spindle shaper. Shaper has more power and cutters are three wings apposed to the two wing router bits. For the heavy duty work the shaper is the answer. For general woodworking and ocassional use, I really think you would get more use out of a router table. I can see your delima as the cost of a good router, router lift and table is comprable to a shaper.

Michael Perata
01-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Mark

If you will be doing door work, then get the shaper, but I would recommend at least a 3HP unit.

If you won't be swinging big shaper tooling then a router table may be more useful. You'll wish you had a dedicated router when using a table since the change over will eat away a lot of time.

Charlie Plesums
01-31-2005, 4:02 PM
Charlie,
Thanks for the info. BTW what did you buy?Sorry that I cannot yet admit that I got the MiniMax CU410 elite combo machine, since I don't have pictures ready to post, and the picture police will get me:rolleyes: . But when I do post, it will show the 8 1/2 foot sliding table that serves both the saw (with scoring blade) and shaper (4.7 hp each), and the 16 inch jointer and planer (run by the third 4.7 hp motor) which also serves the mortiser:D . The shaper has both 3/4 inch and 1 1/4 inch spindles.

But don't tell anyone yet:cool: .

Mark Rhodes
01-31-2005, 4:27 PM
Thnks for the info guys! My thinking is that i dont want to spend a lot of time pulling a router off the table when i need to use it and The cost of a lift a 3hp router and even making my own table is getting up there to what a shaper cost. (I was pricing the Jet 1.5 hp shaper). The other question a little more technical is will a 1.5 hp shaper out perform a 3 hp router. Im assuming the shaper would have an induction motor ?

Norman Hitt
01-31-2005, 4:33 PM
I have heard that there are benefits to both, it seems that the money would bethe same but what would be a better overall tool? If you cold only have one.

Mark, from your quote, I gather you, like many of us, haven't hit the lottery lately, and one machine kinda takes up the budget for a while, so.......I would suggest you check the price of several of the shaper cutters and get ready for sticker shock. (Just to purchase a couple of them may exceed the cost of the shaper..or router table set up itself), and would preclude purchasing the other routerbits you might need .

Both setups have their place, and each excels at some operations, but overall, the router tqble is more versatile than a shaper. As previously posted by others, the shaper excels at heavy cuts for raised panels, mouldings, etc, but the low speed, ie: 10,000 rpm or under, many times ( depending on the size/type bit in use), will not be fast enough to get good results when using the router bit adaptation with the less expensive bits.

In short, (Unlike Charlie), there is NO WAY I would get rid of my Router Table, but my Primary useage may be different from his, and yes, I have some MiniMax tools also, (but not a shaper). The one that will work best for YOU will depend strictly on what your main projected use will be. Only You can determine that.

Aren't Decisions Fun??????????

Dennis McDonaugh
01-31-2005, 6:29 PM
Mark, Mark, Mark. You don't pull the router out of the table when you need it. You walk over to the drawer where your 8 other routers reside.