PDA

View Full Version : Painting galvinized gutters

David Klug
04-15-2003, 11:02 AM
I am putting up new galvinized gutters and if I remember correctly they have to be washed down with vinegar and water mix. Am I correct and if I am how strong should the solution be? Any suggestions on the type of paint to use would be nice too.

Dave

Jason Roehl
04-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Dave,

The vinegar is to wash off any machine oil. Doesn't matter what you use to accomplish that, as long as you don't leave any oil or solvent residue. As far as paint, Sherwin makes a great primer (at least they used to--it's been 5 years since I used it). The primer is called Galvite. It's xylene-based (use xylene for clean-up), was around $30/gal, but that stuff stuck to EVERYTHING. After that, use a high-quality exterior acrylic. DO NOT USE OIL--exterior oil technology is going by the wayside--has been well surpassed by acrylics.

Hope this helps (I'm a pro painter).

David Klug
04-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks Jason:

I have a Sherwin just down the street from me . I'll go down and check it out.

Dave

Tom Sweeney
04-15-2003, 3:14 PM
I have old galvanized gutters on my house. The paint is peeling pretty badly.

Can I powerwash them & use the same stuff? Do I have to get all the old paint off or just the loose stuff?

Hey I know - If I park my pickup under them the next time I do tune up on it - the paint will just burn off :D

Jason Roehl
04-15-2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by Tom Sweeney
I have old galvanized gutters on my house. The paint is peeling pretty badly.

Can I powerwash them & use the same stuff? Do I have to get all the old paint off or just the loose stuff?

Yup--if it's still available. If not, just ask at the paint store which way to go.

Hey I know - If I park my pickup under them the next time I do tune up on it - the paint will just burn off :D

Tom, Tom, Tom....(shaking head):D

Phil Phelps
04-15-2003, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Jason Roehl
Dave,

The vinegar is to wash off any machine oil. Doesn't matter what you use to accomplish that, as long as you don't leave any oil or solvent residue. As far as paint, Sherwin makes a great primer (at least they used to--it's been 5 years since I used it). The primer is called Galvite. It's xylene-based (use xylene for clean-up), was around $30/gal, but that stuff stuck to EVERYTHING. After that, use a high-quality exterior acrylic. DO NOT USE OIL--exterior oil technology is going by the wayside--has been well surpassed by acrylics.

Hope this helps (I'm a pro painter).
He's just a painter, while I'm an Artist. :p Jason is right. And I. too, don't think the primer is necessary. I have used two coats of latex on gutters for over forty years. and it never cracks, chips, or peels. It will fade over time, but man does it stick. I wish all other surfaces were as simple as that.:)