PDA

View Full Version : First bowl is underway...quick question..

Aaron Buys
04-12-2011, 3:34 PM
I have a dry piece of walnut mounted via faceplate to my lathe and I have turned the outside/bottom of the bowl to my desired shape and my tenon is in place. Question: Do I sand the outside of the bowl now and then turn it around to hollow the inside or do wait to do it later? I'm tempted to do it now so I spend less time with the bowl in a jam chuck and work more efficiently but I'm not sure whats "normal."

Also, any recommendations for hook & loop power standing sets? I'm currently looking at the New Wave from Woodcraft. Suggestions?

John Hart
04-12-2011, 3:44 PM
I would get the big grit sanding done, but knowing me, I'd have to come around and do it again later anyway (after the bowl falls off and I ding it with my tool rest....)

But I highly recommend The Sanding Glove. Nice prices, wonderful service...and the ceramic discs are great. No affiliation whatsoever. They were just nice to me. :)

Dan Forman
04-12-2011, 3:53 PM
I would say yes, go ahead and sand now, hope that you don't bang it up after. Even thought he wood is dry, it may still move some due to internal stresses being relieved as the inside is removed, and so it might be difficult to sand evenly at that point.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2011, 4:32 PM
I would finish sand the outside now and then when you come back and remove the tenon - you only have that small area to sand and blend into the rest of the bowl.

For sanding, I use Vince's Blue Flex disks. Love the product and service! Check it out: Vince (http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/)

Tim Rinehart
04-12-2011, 4:39 PM
+1 on Vince's products and his willingness to talk to you about what you need, and advantages/disadvantages posed by all the different sandpaper types. It's worth a call to him. Let him know what you want to do, and he'll give you great info to work with. Not the cheapest, but probably one of the best values out there. I haven't used his products till recently...and am a convert now, using the Cera-max product. Very latest German paper, holds up well...even to my abuse!!

Jim Burr
04-12-2011, 9:32 PM
I finish it as much as possible while it's still on the tenon...might as well. I use a Matabo electric ROS that I wouldn't trade. I have a pancake air compressor so a pneumatic is out of the question. Metabo's aren't cheap...but it is fantastic!!

Curt Fuller
04-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Amen on sanding now and another Amen on Vinces sanding setup. I just recently got my first sanding discs and holders from Vince. I've used a lot of others from CSA and Woodcraft, but Vinces seem to be much better......and cheaper.

Reed Gray
04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
The only possible problem with sanding now would be if when you reverse the bowl to turn the inside, it does not remount true, and you decide to turn some more of the outside again. Not really a problem or noticeable unless you are turning really thin.

Another supporter of Vince and his abrasives. Best deal, and best products.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2011, 10:11 AM
I always wait to sand until I have it mounted on the tenon. As Reed said sometimes they are not all true. So I sand the outside after it has been mounted and I have trued the outside up. Most times it just takes a shear scrape or two.

Scott Hackler
04-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I also will rough out the shape and tenon, then after flipping it over and mounting with the tenon... I finish turn the shape and sand the inside and outside. I just hate finishing the outside, flipping it and its not 100% true after clamping the tenon. This way you finish turning and sanding ALL but a small amount at the tenon area and both inside and outside are true to each other. Of course A lot has to due with what kinda thickness you turn it to and if it has natural edges or wood that will move.