PDA

View Full Version : Stand-off sign & JDS ceramic mugs question

Liesl Dexheimer
04-12-2011, 3:32 PM
Two completely separate questions:

Had a price quote fall through for a stand-off sign. Customer wanted their logo on a 12" x 12" piece of 1/8" white acrylic (the Rowmark white acrylic). The logo would be fairly complex, it wasn't just their name but a silhouette of people & a tag line underneath. Price also included 4 silver single panel stand-offs. I quoted $175.00 but customer told me that was out of her price range. Does that sound like a fair price? Sometimes these customers make me question myself but I know I have to be firm, especially with plastic costs on the rise not to mention shipping charges.

On another note:

I know Dee had engraved some of the JDS mugs, has anyone else? Has anyone had an issue with the handle on their rotary attachment?

mark anizan
04-12-2011, 3:56 PM
I have done over 100 of the mugs on my Epilog rotary,Once I figured out the starting point to space everything I had no more issues.What kind of rotary do you have and what exactly is it doing ?

Martin Boekers
04-12-2011, 4:17 PM
If you do have an Epilog remember to take the second set of rings off, as it then gives
room for the handle.

I always set the handle perpendicular to the table. You can feel this and align it to the
bar on the rotary. Then I make the file fit that area.

Mike Null
04-12-2011, 4:53 PM
I think the acrylic price sounds very high but stand-offs are expensive so that may be the justification for the quote. If this is a one time job and you figure $.75 per sq. inch plus the stand-offs then that's about right. For my regulars, which are nearly all wholesale accounts, I price such acrylic at $.50 per sq. inch.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-12-2011, 5:00 PM
Yes, this is a one time job & it does include the stand-offs. I was told by someone else that approx $1 per sq ft is fair. Thank you for the input though.

I think the acrylic price sounds very high but stand-offs are expensive so that may be the justification for the quote. If this is a one time job and you figure $.75 per sq. inch plus the stand-offs then that's about right. For my regulars, which are nearly all wholesale accounts, I price such acrylic at $.50 per sq. inch.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-12-2011, 5:02 PM
I do have an Epilog. I have never taken the rings off before but I do remember seeing something in the instruction manual about that. Good advice! I might have an order for these mugs down the line...

If you do have an Epilog remember to take the second set of rings off, as it then gives
room for the handle.

I always set the handle perpendicular to the table. You can feel this and align it to the
bar on the rotary. Then I make the file fit that area.

Dee Gallo
04-12-2011, 5:11 PM
I always do a test run and have not had any mistakes.. the one time I assumed it was okay...well, that's a spare mug now.

I make a hairline rectangle around my design and turn on the red dot before running it with the lid open and vector settings at 100 speed and zero power. Running this will show you if the handle is going to hit or if the mug is going to slip and it's only a second or two. You definitely have to take the extra wheel off!

After this one extra step, I run the raster job without moving the mug and have never had a problem going pretty much all around within about 1/2" of the handle.

:) dee

edit: I start this type of design with the handle facing the back of the laser

Ross Moshinsky
04-12-2011, 6:42 PM
Use Outwater for reasonably priced standoffs. If you can get away with lower grade stainless steel, they are only about $1-2 a pop(not including shipping).

As for pricing, you are talking about $15 worth of acrylic. $10 worth of standoffs. From there you have to figure out time and labor. If the artwork is good, we include the setup charge with all orders(it's built into the material charge actually). Engraving time I figure maybe 30 minutes.

Billed out:
$20 for the standoffs
$40 for the acrylic
$50 for the engraving.
$30 Artwork Cleanup(optional)

So, yeah, your pricing is probably a bit high. If you were engraving into white acrylic and then painting, I'd say you'd be right on target if not a bit low. Using the JDS two ply acrylic, it's a bit high.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-13-2011, 8:40 AM
I was looking @ Rowmark's acrylic which is $40.00 through JP. Also stand-offs are $20.00 through JP. Was trying to keep my stock under one roof to save on s/h.

Use Outwater for reasonably priced standoffs. If you can get away with lower grade stainless steel, they are only about $1-2 a pop(not including shipping).

As for pricing, you are talking about $15 worth of acrylic. $10 worth of standoffs. From there you have to figure out time and labor. If the artwork is good, we include the setup charge with all orders(it's built into the material charge actually). Engraving time I figure maybe 30 minutes.

Billed out:
$20 for the standoffs
$40 for the acrylic
$50 for the engraving.
$30 Artwork Cleanup(optional)

So, yeah, your pricing is probably a bit high. If you were engraving into white acrylic and then painting, I'd say you'd be right on target if not a bit low. Using the JDS two ply acrylic, it's a bit high.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-13-2011, 8:41 AM
Lovely mugs Dee! Thank you for the advice too! ;)

I always do a test run and have not had any mistakes.. the one time I assumed it was okay...well, that's a spare mug now.

I make a hairline rectangle around my design and turn on the red dot before running it with the lid open and vector settings at 100 speed and zero power. Running this will show you if the handle is going to hit or if the mug is going to slip and it's only a second or two. You definitely have to take the extra wheel off!

After this one extra step, I run the raster job without moving the mug and have never had a problem going pretty much all around within about 1/2" of the handle.

:) dee

edit: I start this type of design with the handle facing the back of the laser

Martin Boekers
04-13-2011, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Ross Moshinsky;1682895]Use Outwater for reasonably priced standoffs. If you can get away with lower grade stainless steel, they are only about $1-2 a pop(not including shipping).

As for pricing, you are talking about $15 worth of acrylic. $10 worth of standoffs. QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip!

These guys are now bookmarked! I've done a few standoffs but hated to pay for them.
Entirely over priced in my opinion. These make it feasable.

Marty

Ross Moshinsky
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I was looking @ Rowmark's acrylic which is $40.00 through JP. Also stand-offs are $20.00 through JP. Was trying to keep my stock under one roof to save on s/h.

If that's the numbers, that's what you have to charge. A quarter sheet from JDS is $26.50. I don't pay shipping because we pick up from the warehouse. The standoffs with shipping should be about $10-15 from Outwater. We typically buy 5-6 sets to hold us over and to offset shipping. In this circumstance, we could charge less than you. I'm sure on other items you charge much less. That is the business.