PDA

View Full Version : Articulated Hollowing Rig?

Johnny England
04-12-2011, 2:39 PM
I have just about got everything together to build an Articulated hollowing Rig, waiting on some thrust bearings. I can't decide on what length to make the arms. Some where I got the notion that they were 12 inches each, but when I checked some of my saved information I see some are as short as 8 inches. I am currently thinking that the main arm should be 12 inches with the intermediate arm 10 inches and the last one that holds the boring bar be 6 inches. The six inch one would have a 2 inch hole in the end to accept different boring bars and also a mount for the laser system. I am trying to think this through and get it right the first time. Between bearings and materials I didn't have this thing is starting to add up and I don't want to have to make another. Any thoughts, or maybe some measurements from some one who has been there or who has a commercial made unit would be appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2011, 4:53 PM
Johnny - here is an older thread that may help with your design. Articulated Hollower (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?80501-Size-question-articulated-hollower)