PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Gold Method for Photos

steph brown
04-12-2011, 1:24 PM
Hi, I'm new to engraving, we bought the local shop last October and have been learning on the job since we opened the doors November 1. I went to a couple of seminars at the ARA convention in February about photo conversion, but had already learned most of the secrets here! I picked up a couple of Corel tips, but most of it was review and confirmed the process.

I finally have an important job to use this on, other than practicing with my little girl's picture, but it's a sad one. Last week one of our daughter's playmates, age 2, was mauled by a bulldog, she's been in intensive care and has many surgeries ahead. We're in a small town, and there's lots of people coming together to raise funds and support her and her family. Her daddy's employer contacted me about making little pins with her smiling face on them to help indentify those who've come to the restaurant on Thursday for the fundraiser versus those who just happen to be there.

It's been kind of trying on me today, to be staring at dozens of these cute little smiles, which may never look the same, but I wanted to write and let you know how helpful this forum has been. I've gotten lots of information and settings and process tips that have proven invaluable.

These pins are on Matte Gold/black laserable plastic 1.75" around.

Stephanie

-ps I'm working on a laserable braille using the epilog print driver's stamp settings, and it's pretty good.

Dee Gallo
04-12-2011, 1:34 PM
Stephanie,

What a great use for your laser and skills - I hope the fundraiser is a big success and the little girl pulls through with her smile intact. I live in a rural area too and these community support events are the lifeblood for many families in hard situations. Thanks for helping out!

BTW- your pins came out really well!

cheers, dee

AL Ursich
04-12-2011, 2:39 PM
That is GREAT !!!!!!

Suggestion.... Call Epoxies Ect. and ask for a FREE sample of 2 part Epoxy Dome and one of the Single Part UV Cure with a black light.....

Trust me.... I am on my 5th or 6th Gallon in a few years since I first saw it on the Engraving Etc. Forum.

Home Depot Black Lights are all you need.....

That will turn a Outstanding Photo Button into something with more ZIP.... And people will see what you can do.... Be sure to put your website or number on the back because many will want to know where to get a Domed Button with there own picture on it...

It is a Value Added that every Shop should do... I like the UV version but the 2 part has better outside yellowing life.

Good Luck,

AL

Dee Gallo
04-12-2011, 3:45 PM
Al,

I got some of the two part epoxy stuff from Epoxies, Etc. and have not had a chance to try it yet. BUT! I was not aware I need a light cure... how does that work? Please explain in small words... thanks!

cheers, dee

Bill Cunningham
04-12-2011, 10:07 PM
If you have a UV cure product, you can simply set it outside in the sun on a nice day.. It will cure..

Dee Gallo
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
If you have a UV cure product, you can simply set it outside in the sun on a nice day.. It will cure..

Thanks Bill, that's about my speed.

David Takes
04-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't recommend curing it outside unless you completely cover it with a clear box of some sort that does not block UV. The smallest speck of dust or lint will show up on doming like its a log sticking out of it.

Rodne Gold
04-13-2011, 1:47 AM
You only need UV for the uv curable stuff , the 2 part non uv curable stuff needs a warm dry dust free place to "set" , be VERY careful that you mix the 2 part exactly in the ratios they need to be mixed , try not to stir vigorously as this whips air into the mix and it promotes small bubbles. The big thing with any non uv curable epoxy or urethane is to avoid humidity .. the stuff attracts water in the air and bubbles or foams. the easiest way to make a nice dry box for curing is to invert a cardboard box over the domed pieces and make a hole in the top and suspend a 40w light bulb in the box.

Dee Gallo
04-13-2011, 7:34 AM
Thanks Rodney and Dave, I guess the two part stuff I have does not need UV. But I wonder if a tanning bed would work? I use one to darken cherry wood faster than the 4-6 months it naturally needs.