PDA

View Full Version : Metal detectors for Meteorites, Gold and Coins

John Fabre
04-12-2011, 3:34 AM
Thinking about getting one for myself and the kids, is Whites (still made in USA) the best?

Walter Plummer
04-12-2011, 4:59 AM
Love my 5900d although I have not used it in several years. Here in Virginia we were hunting Civil War relics, but I always loved finding old coins.

mickey cassiba
04-12-2011, 5:52 AM
When I was surveying, Whites was the top of the line. It's been awhile, but I don't think you'd go wrong with one of their 'magic sticks'.

Charles McKinley
04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I lurked around this forum and asked their opinion a couple of years ago when We got one for my Dad. Nice people. I ordered it from one of the vendors they recommended.

metaldetectingforum.com/index.php

HTH

John Fabre
04-13-2011, 3:20 AM
Walter, who makes the 5900d?

Mickey, Whites looks like the best bang for the buck.

Chuck, great forum.

Thanks, everyone.

Walter Plummer
04-13-2011, 4:53 AM
Sorry,the 5900 is a Whites detector. When I got mine it was the middle of the line around $600.00.

John Fabre
04-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Well I bought a Whites MXT Pro and a Whites Coinmaster for the boys, couldn't be happier. Took the boys out this weekend and found a jackpot (.75 cents), in one hour. The kids are excided to go out next time.

Walter Plummer
04-18-2011, 6:58 PM
Excellent! Just wait till you find your first old silver or even gold coin. I have never been lucky enough to find a real gold coin but I do have a counterfeit dollar that I found in a Civil War camp. I did see a $20.00 gold coin a friend dug up that looked brand new and one guy that was in the club found a box of the most ugly, heavy, yellow, (but valuable) jewelry you could imagine. You have to keep images like that in mind when you are spending the day digging shotgun shells, mason jar lids etc. You never know...

Bill Cunningham
04-19-2011, 9:25 PM
For a metal detection forum that's every bit as helpful as this one is,
Try forum(dot)treasurenet(dot)com.. You can find people that hunt for just about anything.

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2011, 9:53 PM
I have a Whites coinmaster that is about 9 years old and a Whites Surfmaster underwater detector also. I bought my first whites in 1983 and found many thousands of coins, relics, and junk! I then bought a Garretts detector that worked very well but i ended up selling it when I needed some cash after I got out of the Army. Then later when things were better I was able to get the 2 I have today. That being said for general coin and relic detecting most all of them work pretty much the same, depending on cost. If you are going to do more gold prospecting the Tesoro or Minelab detectors will be a bit better with the latter being the king and very expensive for the top of the line.

But I cut my detecting teeth on a Whites for Sweet Home Oregon and they are my favorite yet today, the last thing I found a couple years ago that was of good value was a 1903 half dollar in near uncirculated condition! I need to get out and do some detecting to find gas money if it keeps going up!!!

Have fun with your new treasure finding tools!

Jeff

mickey cassiba
04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I have a Whites coinmaster that is about 9 years old and a Whites Surfmaster underwater detector also. I bought my first whites in 1983 and found many thousands of coins, relics, and junk! I then bought a Garretts detector that worked very well but i ended up selling it when I needed some cash after I got out of the Army. Then later when things were better I was able to get the 2 I have today. That being said for general coin and relic detecting most all of them work pretty much the same, depending on cost. If you are going to do more gold prospecting the Tesoro or Minelab detectors will be a bit better with the latter being the king and very expensive for the top of the line.

But I cut my detecting teeth on a Whites for Sweet Home Oregon and they are my favorite yet today, the last thing I found a couple years ago that was of good value was a 1903 half dollar in near uncirculated condition! I need to get out and do some detecting to find gas money if it keeps going up!!!

Have fun with your new treasure finding tools!

Jeff Shoot I just need a 'cheap gas detector':D

John Fabre
04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
For a metal detection forum that's every bit as helpful as this one is,
Try forum(dot)treasurenet(dot)com.. You can find people that hunt for just about anything.
Thanks Bill

janise koestner
08-12-2013, 4:14 AM
White metal detectors are always the well known brand. They are also the best. But they are not suitable for beginners.

John McClanahan
08-12-2013, 8:06 AM
White metal detectors are always the well known brand. They are also the best. But they are not suitable for beginners.

Why is that?

John

Gordon Eyre
08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
I have had two of them, they are great.

John M Wilson
08-12-2013, 7:44 PM
Note that this resurrects a several-year old thread...

janise koestner
08-13-2013, 11:16 PM
White metal detector (http://www.detectorall.com/categories/Gold-Metal-Detectors/) are not suitable for beginner. Why is that?

John
Few people will spend too much for his first metal detector if he only take metal detecting as his hobby.