PDA

View Full Version : More dying too

Hayes Rutherford
04-11-2011, 11:57 PM
There has been some awesome dyed pieces displayed lately so thought I would give it a try. I already had some lightfast woodstain powder on hand that was used in string instrument repair, usually to achieve some shade of brown spirit varnish. Into about a teaspoon of grain alcohol I placed about a drop of red powder, then small amounts of blue(using a toothpick) until I got a violet. Then added some very thin shellac and put in in a Harbor Freight airbrush. The cup was about 1/2 full at start.

in three applications I sprayed all the material on drying with a hair dryer in between coats. I rubbed it over with 0000 steel wool, then sprayed on three coats of deft, drying with a hair dryer in between, then finally rubbing it over with steel wool.

The whole process was carried out non stop. I know it probably looks it too, but I never was happy with the form so it was good for practice. It was done at the Trent Bosch workshop I attended last month and the outside didn't get the attention in should have. Dying is good fun and I hope to do it more often!!!

Dan Forman
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Umm...did somebody forget to upload the picture? :D

Edit: Never mind, pic didn't show the first time, is there now.

Hayes --- I think it might have benefitted from a little more gradation from bottom to top. Still, not bad for a first effort. Kind of gutsy starting with a turned piece.
What kind of wood is that? Did he supply the blanks at the workshop?

Dan

Ian Jeffcock
04-12-2011, 3:01 AM
Hayes, I think it turned out well. Esp since I was pelting you with chips. I turned that blank you gave me,...from the same tree I think. I'll try to remember to post a pic when its done. I have been busy replenishing my bowl roughs. Think I have done about 30 12 - 14 inch bowls since that weekend, plus half a dozen HF's. Really liking the hollowing tools I got from Trent. Haven't had time to use the carving stand yet. Sooooo much to try and so little time.
Ian.

John Keeton
04-12-2011, 6:04 AM
Hayes, I think this piece came out very well! I love the color - more graduation in color may have helped, but your method of application is very interesting. I will need to try that with the airbrush. Sounds like a great way to apply lacquer for a better finish than from the spray can. I am never satisfied with the smoothness of the spray can application.

I like the form - very proud shoulders. What are the dimensions?

John Hart
04-12-2011, 6:14 AM
Hayes..I kinda like the form. It might need a little more curve to it...but really, it's nice. That dye job looks great. Very appealing. You'll have to nail that process to perfection. I see it becoming a staple.

Hayes Rutherford
04-12-2011, 9:16 AM
Dan, there was wood at the workshop but it was box elder that I had brought with me. The goal was to create something to decorate and try out his hollowing tools. I only had some 180 grit paper with me at the workshop and wasn't sure if sanding was cool in a class like that so I sanded a little there and a little yesterday but the deep lines just were not coming out.

Ian, I turned the piece of juniper you gave me into a hollow form. It did have a crack that went almost to center but i turned it anyway and it is in a bag at this time. Sure smells pretty!!! It just might close up and be fine.

John, it is 5-3/4" tall and 4-3/4 wide. Mixing the dye with a little shellac seems to work well and the sealing ability builds with each coat. I only mixed the one cup full and did actually try to graduate the color from the bottom but a limited amount of material and the different base tone took over. One thing is for sure, when you start doing this kind of stuff you realize how bad your sanding was!!

David DeCristoforo
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Awesome color! The shape could maybe be a bit more "roundy" but it's still very nice. But the color.... my god the color! I love it!!!

Baxter Smith
04-12-2011, 7:17 PM
Very nice color on my screen!:)

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Very impressive color work! Reminds me of pottery! Looking forward to seeing some more of your color experiments!