PDA

View Full Version : Kayak purchase

Dave Lehnert
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Looking to build a Kayak out of wood but till then think I would like to buy a good plastic Kayak.
Going to guess that a Kayak is like any other thing we buy. The more $$$$ the better. I'm not wanting best, just something good to paddle around the lake on.

Guess I;m more concerned with what to stay away from. Brand that is good or not good.

Just an idea what has caught my eye.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54367?from=SR&feat=sr

Larry Edgerton
04-12-2011, 6:05 AM
I have a couple of Old Towns Loons in Royalex material, and one Dagger. One old town is a 13'8" that I use for fishing, big bit broad at the beam, but stable for fishing. not so bad in a big lake.

Other Old Town in an 11', narrower, faster, turns better, and a little less work on a fast river. Not quite as comfortable, less room to move.

The Dagger is smaller still, about 10', narrow, small hole in deck, fast, quick, easy in a fast river, but as I get older it gets used less and less. Its a young guys kayak. I'm not that. Mostly my daughter uses it.

I too have wanted to build a skin on frame, but the kind of rivers I do would destroy them. The two Old towns have been abused, the proverbial rode hard and put away wet, and just keep coming back for more. I am always trying to jump logs in the river with them, which is getting harder as I get older, and lets say a bit more robust.

What kind of water are you going to be in? Different water, different needs. None of the ones I have would be what I would choose for say cruising down big easy rivers or lakes, and the Old Towns are not the best for white water, the Dagger not so bad but not at all comfortable for an all day run, especially for an old guy that needs to move around a bit.

Either way, it is an awesome way to get away from stress, being on a good river it just seems other things are not all that inportant. Leave the cell phone in the car, and you are disconnected, may as well relax. I love it!

Rich Engelhardt
04-12-2011, 6:22 AM
I'm not wanting best, just something good to paddle around the lake on.

IMHO - you can't beat a canoe for that.
Admittedly, it's a "4 door sedan" to the kayak's "one seat sports car",,,,,but (IMHO) it's more of a 4 door Beemer than an Accord.

Plus - twisting the grip on the 20# Min Kota makes going up river sooooo much more relaxing ;)

Larry Edgerton
04-12-2011, 6:40 AM
I looked at the one in the link Dave. My daughter has one like that if not that one and it is a great all around fun Kayak. Keep in mind that for lake work longer tracks better, you will spend less energy keeping the kayak straight with more length.

When I bought my first kayak I had an Old Town Penobscot canoe, and I never used it after getting a kayak. Kayaks are much easier on the back, and I have a problem in that area. I sold the canoe after a couple of years of it being in my way.

Larry

David Helm
04-12-2011, 1:35 PM
What you probably want is a sea kayak rather than a river kayak. Big difference between the two. You can generally get rotational molded plastic cheaper than fibreglas or kevlar.