PDA

View Full Version : Hear Your Cell Phone Ring In The Shop

Ed Hazel
04-11-2011, 8:04 PM
At times I need to be able to hear my cell phone ring while working in the shop. I have the work tunes that allow me to plug my phone in to the headphones but Hearing the phone actually ring is hit or miss the ring is not very loud also the connector loses contact at times.

I was looking at the Peltor Bluetooth headsets but at $300 without a fm radio I want to make sure they are what I need. Husqvarna makes one with a fm radio but they are $500

Anyone have these or a better solution I do not really need to be able to talk just be able hear the phone ring I can shut down or step out the door.

Mark Ashmeade
04-11-2011, 8:18 PM
Call forward your cell phone to your landline. Get a mahoosive ringer/flashing light thingy for your landline in the shop. Job done.

John Lanciani
04-11-2011, 8:26 PM
Put the phone on vibrate and put it in your back pocket.

Matt Meiser
04-11-2011, 8:47 PM
A hybrid of Mark's suggestion and John's suggestion would be a bluetooth-phone gateway.

Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Intellitouch-ITC-BT-Xlink-cell-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B000S1W7ES
and add a regular phone and LOUD ringer like: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Phone-Flashing-Ringer-Telephone/dp/B003ONP8T8

I've got two of those ringers in my shop, one for each line. The flasher isn't bright enough to get my attention, but the ringer is sure loud enough. With the flasher though I can tell which line is ringing.

Ed Hazel
04-11-2011, 8:59 PM
Thanks Matt
Did not even know there was such a thing as a bluetooth-phone gateway.

John Coloccia
04-11-2011, 9:34 PM
If you have an iPhone, you can hook it up to computers speakers and crank them.

Joshua Culp
04-11-2011, 9:49 PM
If you have an iPhone, you can hook it up to computers speakers and crank them.

That's exactly what I do - and you can do it with most any smartphone these days. Sometimes I listen to Pandora over the phone, and other times I listen to music files on my phone. The cool part is that you can adjust the music and ringer volume separately, then adjust the overall volume on the computer speakers (or any other external speakers). And if you forget to adjust the ringer volume up separately that's okay, because the phone pauses the music when the phone rings. So even if you don't hear the phone ringer, you'll notice that the music stopped.

Some reading this might argue that they still can't hear the music or the phone over the noise of a tablesaw or dust collector. My response is that if you're actively making a cut, you shouldn't care if the phone is ringing or not.

Chip Lindley
04-12-2011, 12:03 AM
The vibrator feature of a cellphone is invaluable. I keep my cell in the bib of my shop overalls. The vibrator never fails to get my attention if I cannot hear the ringtone.

Several years ago I lost my cell around the place somewhere. I was out with a flashlight looking in the truck and everywhere else I had been during the day. My daughter suggested I CALL my own number and listen for the ringtone. I said that may not work because I was pretty sure I'd had the phone on VIBE only. She dialed anyway, and.....my UNDERWEAR Vibed to life!!! I had missed the bib pocket of my overalls and the phone had slid down into my underwear!! Am I really lucky? Or, do Tightie-Whities really do their Job!

david brum
04-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Those Shop Flash things from Grizzly are really affordable and work great. You can select flash mode, alarm mode or both at once. They work by detecting vibration. I just leave my cell phone on top of the sensor, in vibe mode. You just have to make sure you install it far enough from machines, or it will go off all the time.
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Flash-/G8590

Ed Hazel
04-12-2011, 7:43 AM
Tried the vibrate do not notice it most of the time need tighter pants?
No smart phone
[/URL]
I was thinking about this as David mentioned
[URL]http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Flash-/G8590 (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Flash-/G8590)
Looks like a cheap solution, gives me an excuse to order some other stuff from griz

I am still interested in hearing from any one with a Blue-tooth & Hearing protection setup

Kevin Barnett
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Okay, since no one else is asking...How do you have a phone in your underwear and still walk, much less not notice? I'm thinking I'd notice something like that.

Steve Griffin
04-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Another idea is a new cellphone. I just got a Samsung "Rugby", which is sold as a rugged, dustproof, moisture proof phone. It's got a strong vibrate mode, which you probably couldn't miss (and you might even enjoy...). Also has an outdoor ring mode which can be heard above most machines.

-Steve

Craig D Peltier
04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
I listen to Pandora on my Iphone and when a call comes in it rings through my headphones. Works perfect plus protects my ears from loud machines. The vibrate function will not work well enoughf or you to catch a call everytime while working in the shop.

ray hampton
04-12-2011, 1:00 PM
long johns ?

Mike Schuch
04-12-2011, 3:07 PM
I have seen blue tooth watches advertised. They vibrate and display caller ID information and I believe texts as well. Cool idea, I didn't run out and buy one though.

Larry Browning
04-12-2011, 4:49 PM
Ok, I may be the weird one here, but I have found that I cannot have my cell phone with me while working in the shop. Whenever that darn thing goes off, especially in vibrate mode, I jump right out of my boots! If I was running a machine and it went off, I would cut my arm off! The phone ringing across the room doesn't seem to startle me like something attached to my body does.

I'm just saying.....

Cody Colston
04-12-2011, 8:12 PM
Ok, I may be the weird one here, but I have found that I cannot have my cell phone with me while working in the shop. Whenever that darn thing goes off, especially in vibrate mode, I jump right out of my boots! If I was running a machine and it went off, I would cut my arm off! The phone ringing across the room doesn't seem to startle me like something attached to my body does.

I'm just saying.....

Not weird at all, Larry. I go to the shop to get away from annoying things like phones. I don't watch TV or listen to music in the shop, either, unless one considers the whir of a tablesaw or whine of a planer music. If I'm expecting a call so important that I have to answer it immediately, I stay out of the shop. Otherwise, I'll leave the phone in the house and see any calls on caller ID or in a text message later.