PDA

View Full Version : We had fun with Pine box Derby building tonight

Bart Leetch
01-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Fun was had by all with a serious Pine Box Derby building session.Dads & boys as well as former older Royal Rangers helping out the young ones. My shop was full tonight. The whole idea tonight was to get the cars ruffed out so that the fathers & sons can finish them at home. I let the little guys use only the spindle sander & sand paper. They are the one to decide on the design of the car too. Only the Dads & older boys were allowed to use the band-saw & combination sander :D

Bart Leetch
01-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Here they are again.

Shawn Oberdorf
01-31-2005, 6:18 AM
I offered all the parents in our cub scout pack the use of tools, and advise. Noone took me up on it. Oh well! My son's car didnt win a race, but he did win the Best of Show, and is going to the district race next month.

Shawn

Rob Russell
01-31-2005, 8:22 AM
It's really great that you opened up your shop to the kids and 'older helpers'. Use of a bandsaw to rough out a car is certainly safer than trying to do it with a jigsaw.

As a comment on a different topic - were it my shop, I would have told everyone to bring safety glasses or face shields for themselves and the kids to be worn when using the machinery.

Frank Pellow
01-31-2005, 8:27 AM
Great use of the shop Bart! :)

What really surprises me (with all the equipment that you have) is that there is some room left over in your shop for people. :D

Thomas Canfield
01-31-2005, 9:33 AM
That was great you could offer your shop. You opened the joy of woodworking with the proper tools several in the pictures.

I had a neighbor bring his great grandson down to my shop and I rough cut the shape on the band saw after they had marked the outline. I am not used to little hands around and they are so fast. We all ended up with the same anount of skin in place as started which was great, but it did take watching to be sure what I consider safe for adult was child friendly. I have not heard the results of the race, but I know that even the simple act of rough cutting the shape was a major accomplishment in the eyes of that young boy.

Bart Leetch
01-31-2005, 12:02 PM
As a comment on a different topic - were it my shop, I would have told everyone to bring safety glasses or face shields for themselves and the kids to be worn when using the machinery.

The face shield goggles & glasses were made available some wore them some didn't.

Thankfully the Sanders & Band-saws used didn't put out anything that got in someones eye. Both sanders have DC on them.

My self included there were 8 people in my shop last night. :eek:

Can you say a very busy small shop.

Week after next I'll do it again with more Boys & Dad's from our churches Royal Rangers group.

Silas Smith
01-31-2005, 1:07 PM
I too offered my tools to my church group, only one person took my up on the offer. He was an engineer and actually incorportated working lights and blinkers into the design. It was shaped like an 30's RR and I have no idea how he was going to get it done without my tools. He figured he would just carve it. We ended up using the bandsaw, drill press, sanders, chisels, and mortiser for the battery seating. Even though the car was built for looks, it actually came in 2nd overall and won best design. My boy should be starting in a few years and I'm sure that dad will spend quite a bit of time on his car