PDA

View Full Version : Small Wood Gloat and a Question

Nate Davey
04-11-2011, 7:04 PM
My wife and I just finished driving out to Oregon, for her to meet my parents then on to the Oregon coast for a family reunion. While there I found a little Oregon Myrtelwood factory outlet and picked up a bowl blank, the first I've ever bought. Then snitched another piece from my dad and this Birch log. Next week we are going to the Philippines to meet my wife's family. Has anyone ever brought back wood from overseas? Any idea how difficult or easy it is?

Thanks

Gary Max
04-11-2011, 7:08 PM
I would try to ship the wood home.

Mike Marmon
04-11-2011, 7:41 PM
Nate;
I have brought logs and prepared blanks onto commercial flights in my carry on luggage a number of times. The last time that I was in Honolulu, I got a great deal on some Koa and ended up buying a used bag at the Goodwill store just to get it all home. The TSA has never had a problem with it.

Dan Carroll
04-11-2011, 7:58 PM
Carefull of the mosture content issue. PI is humid and hot and wood does not tend to dry very well when brought back to the States and exposed to heated rooms and cold weather. That said, there is some great stuff there.

Jim Burr
04-11-2011, 8:06 PM
Check with the State Dept before you leave. Some bugs that inhabit wood in other countries are a no-no here. Shipping while in-country is a good idea so as not to increase the weight of your baggage resulting in a fee from the airlines on the way home.

David E Keller
04-11-2011, 9:21 PM
I believe you'll be required to de-bark the wood before shipping... Not sure about flying home with it. If you purchase the wood from a place that deals with US customs, they should be able to help you with any particular regulations.

David Dockstader
04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Nate, where did you get the Myrtle? I'm heading to Oregon in July and I would love to haul a little back in my van.

Nate Davey
04-12-2011, 9:16 AM
Dave,

I went to the Myrtlewood Factory Outlet in Garibaldi, OR, www.myrtlewoodfactoryoutlet.com. It's between Tillamook and Cannon Beach. Some of the guys who live out there may know a better place.

Nate

David Dockstader
04-12-2011, 3:40 PM
Thanks, Nate. I should be there in late July.

Dave

Royce Meritt
04-12-2011, 4:26 PM
Nate, where did you get the Myrtle? I'm heading to Oregon in July and I would love to haul a little back in my van.

Last summer my wife and I drove highway 20 from I-5 to Newport. As I recall, there were several "roadside shops" in small towns where one could buy all the Myrtlewood they could haul. Myrtlewood has become one of my favorites.