PDA

View Full Version : My Bandsaw Gloat...

Vincent Lofton
04-11-2011, 2:57 PM
Just thought I would share my recent purchase with you guys. I've been looking at a new Rikon 14 inch band saw and had just about decided to go ahead with the purchase. I've been looking for a used saw for some time but have not found the right one...until last Thursday. For whatever reason I checked Ebay just for the heck of it and typed in Laguna just for fun. Next thing I know I'm pressing "Buy it now" on a 2006 Laguna LT18 for $700.00. The saw only has 2 to 3 actual hours on it but the table and fence rail are pretty rusty. After tuning it up a little it cuts fantastic and I'm very happy I waited on my purchase. I'm studying on how to best clean up the table, some of the rust spots are pretty bad. But overall I can't believe my luck. Love this forum...

Stirling

Douglas Clark
04-11-2011, 3:57 PM
Congrats on your find. Have fun getting that baby rollin'. I just picked up a new 14" myself and as it is my first bandsaw I am in heaven. I just don't know how I went so long without having one. I'm not even slightly interested in touching my table saw right now!

Vincent Lofton
04-11-2011, 4:23 PM
I know what you mean. This is my first band saw as well. I guess I just didn't realize all that you can do with one. It's going to be fun learning!

Mike Cruz
04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Wow, you know, they say once you turn 40, your eyesight starts to fade. Must be true 'cause I don't see no stinkin' band saw...

Vincent Lofton
04-12-2011, 9:07 AM
You're right. What was I thinking? I forgot to mention, he threw in a couple of Rockler roller tables in the deal.

191263 191264

Brian Kincaid
04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
You suck.
-Brian

Joseph Tarantino
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
posted in error.

Joseph Tarantino
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
if that's the saw laguna shows on their site for $3300+, you suck doesn't even come close to describing how good a deal this is. enjoy it. "you suck' tools always work better than full retail purchased tools!

Mike Cruz
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, with PICS, you definately get a YOU SUCK!!!!!! That is awesome!

Randy Bonella
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I saw my first Laguna 14 the other day in real life and WOW!, talk about a well build saw, an 18 for $700 is major suckage!!! Congrats on the find.

Julian Tracy
04-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Lot of folks kill themselves with 3m pads, chemicals and a big mess, but I've refurbed a ton of rusted cast iron tops with a dry random orbit sander using grits 80-320, multiple discs of each.

I use a Festool, so the dust extraction is excellent - that probably helps. No chemicals, no mess.

Julian

Vincent Lofton
04-14-2011, 7:47 AM
Thanks for the info Julian. I previously tried naval jelly and that was a mess. I think I'm on the right track now. I appreciate it.

By the way, do any of you remember the singer Paul Davis (I Go Crazy)? Well, turns out that this was his saw. I bought it from his cousin in Meridian, Miss. who inherited it from the estate...

Stephen Cherry
04-14-2011, 8:59 AM
For rust, I would first use a good dose of machine oil, let it soak, than scrape with an extremely sharp plane blade. Then barkeepers friend with a scothbrite pad.

Total time should be less than an hour, without sanding off any metal.

My opinion, and I know there are plenty of other good ways.