PDA

View Full Version : first segmented piece

Alan Zenreich
04-11-2011, 2:55 PM
Lauren and I are taking a 6 session evening woodturning class at a local high school.

One of the things that drew us to the class is that the instructor centers the class around segmented and bowl-from-a-board techniques. Aside from that, it's a Wednesday night date for us... gets us out of the house.

Lauren is still working on her piece, and it has a very different shape from mine (it will also have some pyrography and perhaps other embellishments).

None of the other students have ever turned anything before. I've been turning for about two years, Lauren for about a year. I think this is the first time the instructor has taught adults <vbg>

In the meantime, here's my first segmented piece, a bud vase.

If I were doing it over, I'd insert another horizontal band just below the striped feature ring, and I've considered changing the feature ring from convex to concave.

In the meantime, it was a good learning experience. We did some of the glue up in class, but I took the pieces home and did the ring stacking/gluing horizontally on the lathe, and did some hollowing before returning to class for the final shaping and drilling (for the glass test tube).

Considering what we started with, I think it's ok for a student piece.

The vase stands about 5.5" high, and is made from maple and some mystery brown wood. The photo was a quick outdoor grab as I was running out the door for a business trip... I'll make another shot when I return.

Jon Prouty
04-11-2011, 4:09 PM
very nice.... I like the feature ring and agree with your assesment. This is on my list to do someday.

Jon

John Keeton
04-11-2011, 4:26 PM
Alan, that is a pretty neat little vase! I do agree that another dark horizontal ring would have tied together the design - particularly if it were a little wider than the vertical strips. But, still a very nice piece with good joinery.

Jim Burr
04-11-2011, 4:29 PM
Great job Alan!! Looks like your 20 or 30th. Keep it up!

John Hart
04-11-2011, 6:08 PM
Nicely done....and congratulations on figuring out a date night that you both enjoy.:)

Brian Libby
04-11-2011, 7:19 PM
I like the piece and also agree on adding the second ring

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2011, 7:31 PM
Really nice peice Alan. I agree with you on the second ring. Nice to get out on date night away from everything and enjoy each others company.

Michelle Rich
04-12-2011, 6:54 AM
as a turner who has made and sold 100's of seg/BfromBs ..I think this is a super first segmented piece. Your next hurdle will be to get the inside hollowed as you are building. Hope you enjoy segmenting, as much as I have. And hey, next time I'd like to see your wife's piece too.

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2011, 7:16 AM
Alan, It is much better than anything I have done, as I have not done a segmented anything yet! I just can't get the desire level up yet to do one, just too many varibles and designs that would make me crazy! I guess I just like the way mother nature made the wood so far.

Keep on gluing and turning,

Jeff

Dan Hintz
04-12-2011, 8:39 AM
I really like this piece... I think the light color of the maple blocks with a slightly darker shade along the edges of each block really pulls it together for me.

One question, though... how did you get your wife to agree to take the class with you? ;) I was forced to sit through several months of cake decorating classes with SWMBO, but I can't get her interested in turning. Oh, she likes what I make, but she won't touch it herself.

Baxter Smith
04-12-2011, 7:21 PM
Nice job on your first segmented piece. I have plenty of dry wood to use and the tools to do this, but all the planning and layout seems too much like work.:)

Cathy Schaewe
04-12-2011, 8:28 PM
I'm really impressed with this piece for a first -
and I'm sure it's a fun date!

Michael Short
04-12-2011, 8:58 PM
Great first try. I like the shape of your vase. Thanks for posting.

David E Keller
04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Nice work on the vase. I like the photos as is... My planned photos aren't as nice as your 'on the way out the door' shots.