PDA

View Full Version : Mad Chiseler Strikes Again ... And Again

Tom LaRussa
01-30-2005, 10:58 PM
The two latest acquisitions from that you know what...

Terry Hatfield
01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
t,

Well, there you go again. :D :D 'Course, I'm one to be talking. I picked up a really nice 5 1/4 tonite off the "e" myself. :D That dang place is really hard to stay away from.

t

Jim Young
01-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Tom, You sure have a large need for chissels. :)

Shawn Swafford
01-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Tom, are you trying to corner the chisel market??? :) . Looks like you are going to need a lathe to put all those babies back in shape.

Aaron Kline
01-31-2005, 7:47 AM
Looks like you are going to need a lathe to put all those babies back in shape.
Now the next post you'll see is a sweet deal on a set of 90 turning tools:rolleyes: Seriously, though, why are you on a chisel binge? Are you planning to clean them up and resell them in sets? I know a lot of folks on here would be up for a nice old set of chisels.

Jim Becker
01-31-2005, 9:44 AM
Tom, are you trying to corner the chisel market???
Now you've gone and done it! Tom's gonna start buying up all the corner chisels, too... :D :D :D

What I think he is going to need is a warehouse or at least a room with more than four walls...:o

Tom LaRussa
01-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Looks like you are going to need a lathe to put all those babies back in shape.
Due in this week:

Tom LaRussa
01-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Are you planning to clean them up and resell them in sets?
That's the hope. :o :confused:

It is amazing though how many of these little buggers you have to sift through in order to find a grouping in graduated sizes and with at least similar blade lengths. Let alone trying to build up sets of all the same make and model -- I gave that up for hopeless right off the bat.

Tom LaRussa
01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
What I think he is going to need is a warehouse or at least a room with more than four walls...:o
Or possibly a room with padded walls? :confused: :eek: ;)

Ken Garlock
01-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Be careful Tom. People might start to calling you a chisler :rolleyes: :eek:

John Dingman
01-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Well,

Now I know what's happening! I kept getting outbid on chisel lots and wondered who the rascal was. Well now I know! :D :D :D

Happy Chiseling,
John

p.s. I meant to add that I am going to be putting a lot of chisels that I no longer need on that place we are not supposed to mention. Do you want to save the hassle of bidding and just make me an offer? :D :D

Shawn Swafford
01-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Tom, that's some beautiful turning stock you have there. Are they Cocobolo? Your lathe looks like it will be just the ticket for turning the handles. Nice looking little machine.

Tom LaRussa
01-31-2005, 1:12 PM
p.s. I meant to add that I am going to be putting a lot of chisels that I no longer need on that place we are not supposed to mention. Do you want to save the hassle of bidding and just make me an offer? :D :D
I'd love to, but my guess is you take very good care of your tools, and I can only afford to buy the messed up/ugly ones that go really cheap. :o

You could always offer them to the other boys and girls around here and/or that other place we hang out that we're not supposed to mention -- :rolleyes: -- and then put them on that place that rhymes with "We Pay" ;) -- if nobody here or at W@@?#=^ wants them.

On the other hand, if these are junkers you found rusting in the basement when you bought the house, or something along those lines, then by all means send me some pics. :D

Tom LaRussa
01-31-2005, 1:22 PM
Tom, that's some beautiful turning stock you have there. Are they Cocobolo? Your lathe looks like it will be just the ticket for turning the handles. Nice looking little machine.
Yep, it's "Coco" -- as the guy on the phone at Tropical Exotic called it -- 38 pieces measuring 1.5" x 1.5" x 12" each. The pic is the "representative" one from the website. I'll find out late this week how true it is to the real thing. {{{{ fingers crossed }}}}

I thought about using a cheaper wood, but I figured that since I'm going to the trouble/expense of [1] buying a lathe; [2] learning how to use a lathe; and, [3] making a whole bunch of knew handles, there was no point in using something boring like beech or hickory.

Besides, many of these chisels are quite attractive, so they deserve something nice -- especially given the treatment they have received from previous owners.

Heck, even the no-name examples among the chisels I've bought are really beautiful tools -- even if only in a utilitarian sense -- once I get the rust off, sand away the pitting, grind new primary bevels, flatten the backs, sand a bit more, flatten just another tad, semi-polish the new primary bevels, sharpen them, etc.

John Dingman
01-31-2005, 1:36 PM
Tom,

They are the brown handled chisels in this photo....

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Hand%20tools%20004.jpg
Have a great day!
John

Shawn Swafford
01-31-2005, 7:57 PM
Tom, I have turned a lot of cocobolo and it is one of my favorite woods. Kingwood would probably be next. Just make sure you wear a good dust mask or hook a dust hood up to your dust collector. The exotics can have some pretty bad effects on your respiratory system and skin.

Tom LaRussa
02-01-2005, 2:28 PM
Tom,

They are the brown handled chisels in this photo....

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Hand%20tools%20004.jpg
Have a great day!
John
John,

I've been buying the real junkers -- no handles, broken handles, rusted blades -- for like $3 - $5 per. :eek:

Those you've got there are in good shape. All they need is sharpening and they're good to go. You could easily get $10 each for the no-names and well upwards of $20 if you happen to have any of the coveted names.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, what names are there in that bunch anyhow?

chris toomey
02-01-2005, 8:27 PM
ebay...ebay...ebay.............