PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Maple Dresser - Repair/Refinish Advice

Steve Saltzman
04-11-2011, 1:22 PM
I recently acquired an old birdseye maple dresser. It seems to be in decent structural shape and the mirror is actually quite good, however it sat in a remote (unused) garage for probably 12-15 years after the farm house it was originally in was torn down. Some of the veneer is peeling on the edges, there are some chunks of veneer missing, and it has had mice in it. The drawers are also somewhat swelled up from being exposed to moisture--they will all slide OK now but won't fully close. I would like to fix/restore/refinish it, however have not done much of this nature before and thought I would seek advice from those with more skill and experience for the best way to go about it.

I'm including pictures below for reference. At present my thought is to:
1) Re-glue the edges of the veneer and repair missing chunks in some manner
2) Replace the drawer bottoms with 1/4" baltic birch (some of them are pretty soft and hoping this would eliminate most of the mouse smell)
3) strip, lightly sand, and refinish everything

Does this sound like a good plan? I know refinishing and doing anything non-original (like replacing drawer bottoms) can hurt the value of some pieces, but I think this is "new" enough and far enough gone that wouldn't be much of a consideration.

I'm specifically looking for guidance on the best glue to use to fix the veneer, and any ideas of the best way to go about fixing the chips. I know I could get some new birdseye veneer and piece it in, but I fear it would be difficult to match the color. Another option would be to replace all the veneer on the drawer fronts, but I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

I tried washing the drawers out with diluted bleach, however the mouse smell still remains and is pretty strong. It's not bad enough that I notice mouse smell when I walk into my garage, but if you take a whiff in any of the drawers it will about take your breath away (even the middle drawer, which didn't have any evidence of nesting/feces). I'm not in a huge rush to use the dresser so it can air out and/or sit empty with baking soda for a while, if necessary, but do want it to eventually be functionally useful.

The inside of the center top drawer is stamped Northern Furniture Company Sheboygan, WI which from what I've found dates it between 1904 and 1949. It has a paper tag on the back that reads Beaton & Laier Omaha NEB, which I haven't been able to find much on. It appears the Beaton & Laier name started in ~1913 and the store was located in downtown Omaha (next to the Orpheum Theater--appears the location is now a parking garage). The namesake of Beaton died in 1916, however I think the company must have continued after that as I'm thinking this is more likely '30s or early '40s. Does that sound/look right?

The drawer sides are solid wood (unsure of species) and are dovetailed into the fronts; drawer bottoms are 1/4" solid wood. The dovetails definitely appear machine cut however I noticed they have little nicks/overcuts on the inside of the pockets on both the drawer front and side. I'm guessing this is a clue to the method used to cut the dovetails that may help date the piece(?)

Full dresser (without mirror)

cracking/chipping on lower drawer

veneer chipping on middle drawer

veneer chipping on upper center drawer

Top view of front - peeling veneer on drawer fronts

Steve Saltzman
04-12-2011, 6:39 PM
Nobody even has an opinion?

Would this be better suited to different section? I considered posting in the projects section but it seemed like that was mainly people showing off finished projects.

Carl Beckett
04-12-2011, 6:53 PM
It is truly a remarkable moment Steve. I dont believe I have ever seen this group without SOME opinion!! ;)

OK, my $.02

I think its great that you are interested in salvaging and reusing a piece like this, instead of sending it to the landfill or fireplace. Its a nice looking piece.

Im not an expert on veneer at all - but wonder if some of the superglues would be a useful way to get some of the bubbles back down. You could inject it using a syringe or fine tip dispenser, and then clamp for pressure until it dried.

Once you get the liftedpieces back down, you can replace the missing pieces.

I might try bleach direct from the bottle on the inside of the drawers, and then let it dry out well. Before using I would spray finish the insides of the drawers which would seal up and clean up any remaining odors.

Be careful when finishing. Its easy to sand or scrape through veneer.

You might learn more about the history of the piece, period, and value on one of the antique sites. Including proper restoration techniques (its not clear to me if you want to restore this, or simply make it usable again (antique restoration and simply salvaging a usable piece are two very different things, so if you want to retain maximum value as an antique you should research carefully the do/donts of restoration - again, an antique website is likely a better bet)

Now if you are interested to know how to cut a tree and process it to a piece of veneer that you can use to repair some of these spots, you ARE in the right place. :)