PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

Richard Kennedy UK
04-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a woodturner (website or Pics) or can explain to me how you make a bowl with a carved step down the side what is the process ? all help tips photos would be appreciated

Richard

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you have a pic or drawing of what you mean? If it's a fine step, I might use the parting tool to make each step (after roughing the bowl's major shape with the gouge first, mind you). For major steps, I'd rough each step with the gouge, then clean each of them up with the parting tool.

Richard Kennedy UK
04-11-2011, 1:01 PM
Hi Dan thanks for the comment What I mean is a vertical step going down the bowl as if it were folded around on itself I know it has to be carved just not sure how or where to start!

Mark Hubl
04-11-2011, 1:42 PM
Richard,

I think on wow recently there was a how to of a wrapped piece. Probably couple of weeks ago, at least. The piece looked like a rolled up paper. (photo page 2087 & 2089) Here is a thread that I posted with a simple fold going down the side.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161872-WIP-Southwest-Inspiration&highlight=

May want to take a look in my gallery, I have several vases with folds.

Cathy Schaewe
04-11-2011, 1:46 PM
Richard - if I understand what you're looking for . . .
There was an article in the december 2010 AAW journal by Neil Scobie entitled "suspended forms." In that article, he talks about how he likes the appearance of having the form look like 'a piece of cardboard overlapping to create a stairstep on the rim.' He's got pics, and describes how he does it.

I don't know if you have access to the AAW journals???

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 2:44 PM
Oh, you mean like a thread?

Richard Kennedy UK
04-11-2011, 5:11 PM
Richard,

I think on wow recently there was a how to of a wrapped piece. Probably couple of weeks ago, at least. The piece looked like a rolled up paper. (photo page 2087 & 2089) Here is a thread that I posted with a simple fold going down the side.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161872-WIP-Southwest-Inspiration&highlight=

May want to take a look in my gallery, I have several vases with folds.

Richard - if I understand what you're looking for . . .
There was an article in the december 2010 AAW journal by Neil Scobie entitled "suspended forms." In that article, he talks about how he likes the appearance of having the form look like 'a piece of cardboard overlapping to create a stairstep on the rim.' He's got pics, and describes how he does it.

I don't know if you have access to the AAW journals???

Yes this is exactly what I was after thank you (lovely piece too by the way!) Cathy yes I have access to the journals and will look it up

Thanks everyone

Richard

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2011, 5:17 PM
Does this mean you have a project in mind ... or just want to carve some folds???

If it's a project - I am looking forward to seeing it! If it's for therapy - you should try woodturning! Very therapeutic! ;)

Richard Kennedy UK
04-12-2011, 5:37 AM
Does this mean you have a project in mind ... or just want to carve some folds???

If it's a project - I am looking forward to seeing it! If it's for therapy - you should try woodturning! Very therapeutic! ;)

Its a bit of both Steve I have been wanting to understand the carving process more and more as I think I could use some of the techniques on some projects I have ideas but not the skills needed to carry them out! However I have been lent a machine that is allowing me to explore some new thoughts but I needed some pics of things to aid the construction process! If it works photos will follow!