PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on HF Tile Cutters

BOB OLINGER
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
We just started installing the first of many tiles in the 3 bathrooms we are remodeling. I have a very small tile cutter that likely won't cut it. Being this is a "one-and-done" type of situation, I am considering options at HF for a better saw. I noticed they have several models from about $179 to 249 in the last sales catalog (plus the cheapies $44-59 which I already have).

Does anyone have any experience with these? It looks like the 98265-ICZH model for $179 might do nicely. Anyone with experience on these?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee Schierer
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Check with your local BORG. They will rent tile cutters. Might be less costly than your one and done purchase from HF.

Matt Meiser
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I bought an $80 table saw-style wet saw at Lowes. I did our master bath, then my aunt borrowed it and did her kitchen with it. Worked great for both of us and it would surely do at least a couple more rooms.

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I purchased a wet tile saw from Lowes a couple of years ago (and did a review here... may be easy to find searching on my name and some useful key words). I think I paid <$200 and it has worked quite well for 12" granite tiles. I could probably do with a better diamond blade, though, to prevent some chipout on the edges.

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Found my old review thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?104611-Tile-saws-what-you-can-expect...

Ben Abate
04-11-2011, 1:10 PM
Bob,
I've used HF's before and the one that I used was a peach. It was a bigger saw, the one job I used it on we used 16 inch tile and did the design on a 45 so there were many cuts diagonally. That's a pretty good distance splitting 16 inch tiles without breaking them or chipping them. They might have been 18 inch ones, can't remember correctly. Diamond blade of course but the saw was nice. Tough decision, I'm able to borrow that saw when I need it. Personally I'd spend the money on a good saw especially if I were doing any size of a job for myself or someone else. My thinking is that at some point if you need cash you can sell it. I prefer to use a good saw than a junk one. Buy a good $100.00 blade for it and it will last a good long while. my $0.02

good luck

Jim O'Dell
04-11-2011, 8:40 PM
I bought the HF 2 1/2 HP(in their dreams :p) sliding wet saw, model # TC250B. I got it on sale about 209.00. Definitely one of their good corded tools. I've used it on 2 bedrooms, and have a lot more of the house planned for tiles. It doesn't come with a blade. I got a new HotDog blade for it from someone on SMC or FWW for less than half of the retail price. It is a great blade!! Maybe this Christmas, HD will put their big portable too stand on sale at 99.00 again so I can get one to put it on. Jim.

Kurt Cady
04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I burned up the saw Jim is talking about in one weekend. It started smoking out the back of the motor pretty bad.

Granted, I was about 550-575 bricks into the job. I was cutting the good face off of an entire cube of bricks to put on the wall. It worked great for about 16hours!

scott vroom
04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Do yourself a favor and search for a good used pro line wet saw (e.g., MK, Felker, etc.). There are lots of them for sale on Craigslist. When you're done, sell it for $50 less than you paid for it. If you've got 3 bathrooms to do, you'll spend more renting than buying.....unless you're REAL fast at setting.

Bruce Kohl
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I bought a HF 2 1/2 HP sliding tile saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-horsepower-10-inch-industrial-tile-brick-saw-95385.html) a couple of years ago. I've used it to tile two bathrooms in my house so far, and to cut some bricks for a patio. I paid about $200 for it on sale, plus the cost of a diamond blade and a stand. It's regularly on sale for around $200 - 220. The tool has worked well and is pretty good quality, although I'd recommend getting a better blade than the one HF sells. The HF blade will chip the edge of the tile if you're not careful. Overall it has worked well for my projects, and at the price was cheaper than the used professional saws I found on CL. I do see these HF saws come up on CL every so often (the one and done usage) so you might be able to pick one up there for much less. Heck, when I'm done with my projects I'll sell you this one.

BOB OLINGER
04-12-2011, 8:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses with comments and suggestions.

Fred Belknap
04-12-2011, 9:02 AM
I had a one time job and got the cheapy from HF. It didn't come with a blade, the blade arbor was 1", the only place I could get a blade was from HF and with shipping it was almost as much as the machine. It vibrated bad. Always broke the last 1/4".

Matt Meiser
04-12-2011, 9:16 AM
Do yourself a favor and search for a good used pro line wet saw (e.g., MK, Felker, etc.). There are lots of them for sale on Craigslist. When you're done, sell it for $50 less than you paid for it. If you've got 3 bathrooms to do, you'll spend more renting than buying.....unless you're REAL fast at setting.

Also a great idea. I paid $20 net to "rent" the special stapler for an engineered hardwood floor by buying and reselling a used one. Home Depot charged almost as much to rent one for a three day weekend as to buy new.

Mike OMelia
04-12-2011, 11:00 AM
A professional tile guy who did my bathroom used the HF model. I asked him about that. He said it did the job and if it failed, they would replace it. But he has not replaced it yet. Not sure what the take away is.

Mike

Homer Faucett
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I have the 1.5 hp bridge cutting tile saw 97360. I bought it for about $140 about 5 years ago (on sale for $199, plus the 30% coupon they used to have). It's done a slate porch, 1000 sq. ft. slate floor, granite tile countertops, granite slab countertops, and a few other odds and ends. I replaced the stock blade after the slate floor project with a Hitachi blade (about $20 from Lowe's), and it cuts granite and granite tile with no problems and no chipping. It has been abused, but it just keeps going. Lowes used to sell an identical saw under a different brand name (same orange color that my saw is--new one is black) for around $400. I would highly recommend that saw, and make sure you dig up one of the 20% coupons they run in the magazines.

Matt Evans
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
A professional tile guy who did my bathroom used the HF model. I asked him about that. He said it did the job and if it failed, they would replace it. But he has not replaced it yet. Not sure what the take away is.

Mike

Don't have a local HF anymore, but here is my take on it. . .

They offer a replacement warranty of sorts. I think its a 2 year plan. It costs a few bucks, but they replace tools no questions asked. My mixing drills and hammer drills tend to be HF as a result, or anything else that doesn’t require 1/64" precision and will be used really hard and tossed in a job box.

Its worth it in my opinion, but if you can see yourself dishing out the extra cash for a good professional grade saw and blade you may wish to go that route as well.

Mike Schuch
04-12-2011, 2:13 PM
I have had the listed HF sliding table tile saw for many years. (Mine is the same saw except it is orange). The stupid extra $40 for the stand is definitely worth it.

My father has gone through two diamond blades and the only problem he has had is having to replace the belt (He used a dull blade way past its replacement time).

Both of our saws run quite smooth. The tile cracking in the last 1/4" of the cut has more to do with technique than the saw. If you slow the cut at the end you will have better results. Any tile saw will cause cracking at the end of the cut if the tile is not supported flat (Remove the rubble on the table from the previous cut) and/or the cut is rushed... especially the end of the cut.

I have never had problems with the HF 10" diamond blade.... but replacement blades are available just about anywhere. I have a replacement I purchased at Home Depot. There are different styles of blades for different purposes. The turbo blades are much faster than the continuous rim blades but they leave a rougher edge. I believe the segmented blades are more geared for brick and concrete block.

Compared to a 4inch "table saw" stile wet saw this HF is a dream to use! If you don't try to cut with a warn out blade it should serve you very well.

Mike OMelia
04-12-2011, 3:50 PM
Yeah, I watched that pro use the HF saw in ways I am sure the manufacturer would never reccomend. Like watching someone carve a bear from a log with a chainsaw. The results were amazing and how he has kept all his parts, I will never know. Based on what he said, I would have no fear buying the HF for odd jobs around the house.

Mike