PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw X5 issue

Ron Chapellaz
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to create a simple 1" x 3" rectangle in Corel X5 which I have done 1000's of times. I quickly draw a rectangle using the rectangle tool, and then I enter in the exact dimensions that I need. When I enter in the values needed my rectangle doesn't change in size. I reset Corel Draw and restarted my Computer as well and still have this issue. Anyone experience this before or have any ideas?? I may have to switch to Ver. 12 if I can't resolve this today.

Ruben Salcedo
04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Are you sure you are working in the right layer? for instance Layer 1?, some times for unknown reason I've tried to do things and was in the Guides layer, just a thought.

Ruben

Ron Chapellaz
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes, I'm in the right layer Ruben as all I have is a single rectangle on page 1. Looking at this furthur, I cannot rotate the object or change the X and Y values for the object position or change by percentage. I have tried opening other docs and modifying shapes there with no luck as well. I can however round corners on the rectangle. The rectangle is not locked either. I do appreciate your input Ruben, and your quick response!

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Is it selected? Stupid question, I know, but I had to ask. As with Ruben, the Guide layer has created no end of troubles for me. The latest was pasting an entire drawing (PDF) onto that layer and wondering for a good 30 minutes why the text was now a vector outline and no longer editable... I never noticed the blue color of the guide layer.

Ron Chapellaz
04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes Dan the item is selected. Hey guys I appreciate anything you've got. Is there another place where I can enter in dimension values without having to drag the rectangles handles? It's almost impossible to get things exact that way. Maybe I'll just have to re install Corel. Of course this would have to happen when I've got a lot to laser this week!!

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Is there another place where I can enter in dimension values without having to drag the rectangles handles? It's almost impossible to get things exact that way.
At the top left are four text entry boxes (labeled 'X', 'Y', etc.)... selecting the box and entering the desired values there will get you the best accuracy...

Jeff Aichinger
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
If you are looking for "another place" to enter the size (or location) of an object, you might try the Transformation Docker. I'm not sure this will solve your problem. I wonder if you do indeed have some corruption somewhere. If you haven't already (and I bet you have), close DRAW and restart it, beginning with a new job. Hope this helps.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-11-2011, 1:06 PM
Hey Ron,
Do a screen print of CD with what you have described so we can see your workspace. It may give us a hint.

It could possibly be that those "zeros" are on strike again, demanding hire wages and benefits equal to what the "Ones" currently have. It's really hard to understand what the "zeros" are up to at any given time because they have nothing, nada, zilch, no substance but without them, the "ones" are limited to cutting or rounding corners like you mentioned.:D

Ron Chapellaz
04-11-2011, 1:09 PM
At the top left are four text entry boxes (labeled 'X', 'Y', etc.)... selecting the box and entering the desired values there will get you the best accuracy...

Yeah that's the area been giving me problems. I thought there may have been another place to enter in those values. I have resorted to going back to Ver. 12 on another computer where all is well and my little rectangles work perfectly. I'll have to deal with this X5 issue later when I have time.

If anyone has had issues like this and figured things out, let me know. Thanks again Dan and Ruben!

Ron Chapellaz
04-11-2011, 1:39 PM
If you are looking for "another place" to enter the size (or location) of an object, you might try the Transformation Docker. I'm not sure this will solve your problem. I wonder if you do indeed have some corruption somewhere. If you haven't already (and I bet you have), close DRAW and restart it, beginning with a new job. Hope this helps.

I knew there was another place to enter in the values but couldn't remember where! For kicks I thought I would give it a try and to my surprise it worked!! Not sure why, but it worked. It isn't as handy to use the transformation docker as I like to keep that spot reserved for the oject Manager docker only, but hey it is a work around! Thanks a bunch Jeff!

Ron Chapellaz
04-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Here's an update on my Corel X5 issues. Yesterday I also noticed that my freehand, bezier and pen tools were missing. In the end, I had to do a repair from the install CD and at least for now it appears that all my issues have been resolved. I can even make and resize rectangles now!!

Michael Kowalczyk
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Woo Hoooo. Glad to hear you are back on the road. You know the old saying.... When all else fails, reboot or reinstall.

Mike Null
04-13-2011, 1:24 PM
Ron

You might check to see if you have all the updates. You should be running version 15.2.0.661.

Ron Chapellaz
04-13-2011, 8:16 PM
Ron

You might check to see if you have all the updates. You should be running version 15.2.0.661.

Mike, I double checked and I do have the latest version. The only other thing I can think of that caused my problem is that I installed other graphics software a couple of weeks ago, and maybe it threw Corel Draw outta wack... Thanks once again everyone for the help. Sawmill never fails to deliver!!