PDA

View Full Version : Why is it?

Dick Wilson
04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Why is it that afterwards one can think of different approaches on a piece???:(:(

I have been working on a piece for two weeks. I started out on the drafting board designing the work. I spent hours designing different approaches to the piece. I spent lots of time mulling over the different designs in my head. Something else comes to mind.....out comes the drafting board again.

Once I made the agonizing decision on exactly what I wanted to do I went to work: drilled the holes (now I am 100% commited), and glued the pieces together. After the pieces is all assembled I COME UP WITH A BETTER WAY OF INCORPORATING ALL THE PIECES IN THE DESIGN!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yea, I know, do the next one that way. Still, it is maddening!!!!

Roger Chandler
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Dick,

I think what you are saying has happened to most turners. It is when we get experience with several of a certain type of turning that we generally understand the best way to go about it. For every "new" form we tackle, then there is a learning curve that goes with it. You are right.........it is maddening! Especially when you create problems for yourself in the sequence or steps in finishing a project to completion.............You look back and say "why didn't I do it that way instead?!"

Robert McGowen
04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
No answers here, but I hope you feel better now. :D

David DeCristoforo
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Dick, it's because you are a member of a very elite group of humans who are blessed with excellent hindsight.

Reed Gray
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
After some 10,000 bowls or so over the last 15 years, I am still experimenting. I will ponder things and go back and try some thing new. Curiosity is a blessing and a curse. Experience does offer different perspectives.

robo hippy

Steve Vaughan
04-11-2011, 3:14 PM
Why is it that afterwards one can think of different approaches on a piece???:(:(

Dick, do not be upset. That is built into the brain of excellent woodturners and shows the advanced mind you have. It is for the expressed purpose so that you will always have another piece already in the wings and ready to turn!:D

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2011, 5:30 PM
Yup... have had that happen a few times! Life would get real boring in a hurry if everything we planned went off without a hitch! I am willing to bet that because of the timing, the new way of doing something will be remembered!

Looking forward to seeing whatever it is that you are working on!

John Hart
04-11-2011, 5:55 PM
I just quit drawing stuff. It never worked out. I would plan the whole piece, then do something different. Eventually, I figured it out. The wood is in charge. :)

Dennis Ford
04-11-2011, 7:33 PM
I just quit drawing stuff. It never worked out. I would plan the whole piece, then do something different. Eventually, I figured it out. The wood is in charge. :)

That is the way I do nearly all my turned items. For the rare plan I often do a sketch with as few dimensions as possible.

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2011, 7:46 AM
Dick, That is why I never draw a sketch, a plan, or anything when I put a block of wood on the lathe. For when I get it rounded up and look at it I may see something that I could not imagine while it was just a blank. As I progress things come to mind and I go forward and things show up in the wood that will change my mind. That being said in the segmented world it is a must to lay it all out and have a total plan of what you have in mind for a finished project.

Less stress creates greater creativity,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
04-12-2011, 7:29 PM
I can almost always see different ways I could/should have done something after I have done it. May have something to do with lack of planning on my part. I try to start with a general idea when I put a piece of wood on the lathe, but have never spent any time drawing something out. (beyond fitting a finial) I turn mostly green wood and air dry. Can't remember what I had planned 5 minutes ago, let alone a year later.:)

charlie knighton
04-12-2011, 8:46 PM
two types of people, one maps it out, the other uses "that's about right"

both are correct

saw a rotation at richmond on the subject, cindy and david did the rotation called right brain, left brain
it was very good