PDA

View Full Version : Another Moxon Vise

Sean Hughto
04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I think I remember reading Chris Schwarz say that the moxon vise and the hand plane shaped birdhouse were the two most popular projects of last year (though I might have dreamed that?). I have no plans to make the birdhouse, but I had long been planning to give the vise a try. It looked like a quick weekend afternoon sort of thing. Well, as often happens with woodworking, it turned out to be a little more complicated than that.

I first bought the $45 threader set Chris uses. I think I got mine from Woodcraft, though all the usual outlets’ versions look similar. As an aside, I’ve since heard a rumor that Woodcraft has admitted that this set is not good in that the tap turns a 6 tpi and the die something slightly bigger. That rumor was born out by my experience. I could not make threads that operated smoothly through that 8/4 back face (i.e., you might get buy if your “nut” had less than an inch of threading, but with more than an inch and a half, the binding is inevitable). There is a chance that the tool was okay, and that I just wasn’t using it or adjusting it well. But whatever, the thread operation is what makes or breaks this vise as far as making it either pleasant or unpleasant to use, so I had to try something else.

So, determined to make some sweet threads, I bought Mr. Beall’s offering. His also has the advantage of being 5 tpi, I believe, meaning it moves a bit faster in use, which is good on a vise. The Beall 1 ½” threader was way better, at least for me. The tap alone is a much more robust and refined chunk of metal. As Mr. Beall says in the instructions, you will waste a dowel getting the router depth tuned in for thread making, but once you do, it churns out very nice threads that will actually even spin a nut up and down the threads with a push from your hand. For anyone thinking of buying the Beall, I’d note that you do need a smallish router or laminate trimmer as it would be difficult to balance (or even securely mount a 3HP router or the like) on top of the Beall “table.” (I really like the Beall threader, and plan to get some more sizes and make some more projects using thread and wood nuts – maybe even a chair).

Attached is a picture of my version of the moxon vise. My earlier attempt with the poor threads and the handles - a la Schwarz – for turning, convinced me that I really wanted some tommy bars. Other than that, mine is pretty much like everyone elses.

Amazing how much effort is can take me to make something so relatively simple, at least to a standard of performance that satisfies me. So yeah, ho hum, another Moxon vise. It really is a pleasure to use. It’s a great bench accessory.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5608136319_ca9b88c9ac_b.jpg

john brenton
04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Sweet, man. But where's the obligatory "triple double dovetails during mid cut" shot?

Pam Niedermayer
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
OK, I'll bit, what does a chair need with nuts and threads?

Like your vise, nice big threads, primo.

Pam

Sean Hughto
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey, Pam. An adjustable height or knock-down chair could benefit from threads and nuts. But what I have in mind is simply using them as the prime joinery method, as oppsed to say wedged tenons. I also think it will be a neat decoration as wooden threads and nuts seem to intrigue even non-woodworking people.

george wilson
04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Your vise looks nice,Sean. None of those available(at reasonable prices) threading outfits really make an authentic,coarse enough thread. For that,you're going to pay about $1500.00 for one made in Germany from the Dick catalog. I cut my threads in my engine lathe,with a router held in the toolpost at 45º to make a 90º 18th.C. "V" thread. In wood,this is stronger than the 60º metal type thread that everyone uses now. For 1 1/2",threads should be at least 4 tpi.. I make my own taps,being also a machinist. Our vise threads in the museum were cut on an old cast iron German die,and made 3 tpi..

However,your vise will work just fine,and you aren't operating a period workshop.

Sean Hughto
04-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Cool details to know about the real deal. Thanks, George.