PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Nissan Frontier?

Larry Edgerton
04-11-2011, 7:23 AM
Work is slow and has been for about 5-6 years here in northern Michigan, and I don't see anything to change it in the forseeable future, so I have been slashing overhaead in every way I can. I am thinking about a small truck as my jobs keep getting further and further away. Gas prices right now are at a point that the difference between a Nissan and my van would make a payment every month. That is assuming that work stays as it is. I am running between a $900-1000 a month in fuel now.

So......

Anyone running a Frontier? If so, what say you? I have decided that if I buy a small truck it will be a Nissan, I know Toyotas are great, but not great enough to justify the premium in price. If the price goes up, then there is no justification. Besides, Toyota's are ugly!:)

Steven DeMars
04-11-2011, 8:17 AM
Check out the new Nissan Van . . . . good mileage . .

Lee Schierer
04-11-2011, 9:13 AM
Unless you need a truck, I would look at a Mazda Tribute. It rides like a car, handles more like a sports car and gets better mileage than the Frontier. We've had ours for five years and have had no problems with it. It handles well in the snow and ice of NW PA.

Steve Griffin
04-11-2011, 9:59 AM
Also look at Ford Rangers. Put 100K on mine before I sold it with no problems to speak of.

However, these little trucks don't especially get great millage. The Ranger got about 20, my Tundra gets 17-18 and it's a heck of lot more truck.

Another route to go is a small SUV like the Honda pilot if you don't always haul stuff or large things. You could use it for small deliveries/client visits and then pull up to a 5x10 trailer for larger deliveries.

-Steve

Brian Brown
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I bought my 09 Frontier new. Never had a problem with it. I had higher hopes for gas mileage, but it does the same as anything else in its class. I get 15 city, and 22 highway at 65 mph, 20 highway at 75 mph. I'm not a real car person, I just need good reliable transportation that is comfortable and as versatile as possible. The Frontier fits all of these. I agree with everything you said about the Toyota, except I think they look good. I have seen, but I can't remember the address, of a Nissan Frontier forum, where the members really get into discussions about their Frontiers.

Scott Donley
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Just don't get the 6 cyl. , auto trans, 4X4, if your looking for good milage. I get 13 in town and 18 highway with my 09. Only problem was a bad battery that was replaced. Other than that, it is a great truck. I had a 2000 before the 09, 4cyl. stick, that never in 9 years needed any repairs. It got about 24 mpg in town.

Don Jarvie
04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I have a 2000 Frontier V6 4x4 and have had no problems outside of regular maintence. As some have echoed the mileage isn't that good. I get around 15 with mixed city/hwy. I've had few complaints with it.

I'm hoping to upgrade to a full size 4dr pickup this year.

charlie knighton
04-11-2011, 5:28 PM
'02 frontier, 100,933 miles

2wd 4 cly 6 ft bed auto

in shop now for new gas and air reglator, put in shop thursday, no part so took it home, took back to shop monday today, still there, nissan did not send a gasket with the parts

drove back from fl with bad unit, it will not idle correcttly, i have the same problem, idle time
hope to finnally get it together tomorrow, Jeff runs good shop, i guess nissan does not like to have him get the business,
the one part is not made by anyone else

i like my truck, could probably find a car that gets better mileage, but they are not trucks....

Larry Edgerton
04-11-2011, 7:13 PM
Whatever I buy will be a 4cyl, stick, 2 wheel drive.

I did check out the Nissan Vans, too much money and not good enough mileage for the miles I drive. They get the same as my current van.

Bryan Morgan
04-12-2011, 5:23 PM
My co-worker has one. He has had it since they first came out and has nothing but problems with it. Transmission replaced, tensioner, some kind of bearings in the engine making a lot of noise, drivers side cat, etc etc. One of the repairs was around $3500 and even though the truck is out of warranty there was a TSB about something and Nissan corporate gave him his money back, that was impressive.

Don Jarvie
04-12-2011, 8:00 PM
Larry, wouldn't a 4x4 be a better bet since I'm sure you get quite a bit of snow. We don't get much snow around here and I couldn't live without 4 wheel drive.

charlie knighton
04-12-2011, 8:12 PM
Jeff fixed the idle problem

when you change headlights the dealer is the only one who can ajust the position of headlight easily, everbody else sort of plays around with it, some kind of special tool needed, dealer not cheap

if you buy a new truck, you can decide how stiff the springs are , i wish i had upped mine, i just have the stock springs, and have learned to keep any heavy weight like wood forward and over the back wheels

the plastic bed is nice, things slide on it pretty good, if do not want them to slide, use inexpensive rug in back
also with rug, you do not have to clean up bark and such every time you have a load

paint seems to hold up, not like some brands

for driving in snow, i used a large tub with gravel in it, about 70 lbs was good, i tied it down and in spring put gravel on driveway
i waited til daylight to drive to work, in case of ice, i stayed home
they counted hours at work instead of days so this seemed to work ok for me, worked 12 hour shift/ 3 day one week; 4 days next week
auto transmisson drove better in snow than 5 speed in previous 240 nissan which was geared low, usually had to start in 2nd gear with the 240; after driving the 240 trying to put up with the nissan truck clutch of all the way out, drove me crazy when tried out, liked the clutch in 240
then they opened plant in china and closed out american plants, mine included