PDA

View Full Version : First practice six piece segmented turning ("cup" thing and bowl)

Joe Watson
04-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Seen a couple threads with pics of segmented turnings and had to try it :)

Took four planks (roughly 3" x 5/8 x 16" each; one red, one yellow and two gray natural woodish) from the sides of an "Indian" create which was shipped to the job i work at. Cleaned up one face of each plank on the planer, face glued the planks in pairs, red with gray, yellow with gray. Then cut 15deg angles and glued the circle.

Still have a long way to go (for turning in general, glue ups more so), but for the fourth and fifth wood turnings ever, im happy.

Made the same mastake for both peices, glued all segments together at once, so glue lines can be seen. Next time im gonna try gluing pairs and then making sure once i get to gluing two halves together, its a nice and clean joint.

Just something to get my feet wet with, plus i wanted to see how a turning would look when you create a "bobble/boldge" when there are two different types of wood creating the thickness of the bowl.

Even though this was just practice, and i see some of my mistakes, any comments are welcome... i can really see myself getting into segmented turning so any help would be great.

"Cup" thing - sanded with a coat of paste wax

Bowl - just sanded - still needs finishing work if it does not end up in the trash can.

Tim Thiebaut
04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
I think that practise, and experimentation is extremly important! I think that is so important for a persons development in anything so good for you for stepping out and giving this a go like this. You have already determined where you need to address some issues the next time you do this so you have already learned from this! Jump in with both feet and do it again. I have so many things that I have just experimented with, and all of them have helped me learn.

John Keeton
04-11-2011, 6:58 AM
Joe, I haven't been drawn to the segmented work, but apparently it is a deep sub-vortex!! Nice first go, and I look forward to future segmentation from you!

Robert McGowen
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Then cut 15deg angles and glued the circle.

Are you sure you didn't cut 30 degree angles..... :)

It looks like you did a nice job on centering the piece on your base. If you are off even a little bit, it really shows up on the finished product because the ovals on the sides will all be off center.

Joe Watson
04-14-2011, 1:10 AM
Are you sure you didn't cut 30 degree angles..... :)
Humm... i must have been working with the "new math" :p
I would go back and edit the post, but cant find the edit button.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Brought home some more of the create wood tonight, hopefully saterday or monday the second chuck along with the large flat jaws will be in and sometime next week ill give it a goo again.

Anyone help me out with this thread (identifying the type of wood used)...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163989

_

Roland Martin
04-14-2011, 7:43 AM
Nothing like crate wood to be able to practice with, just be sure of triple-checking for nails/screws, that could really hurt:eek:. Segmenting does have a rather large learning curve and you're doing well praticing before ruining expensive lumber. Keep 'em coming!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Looks pretty good. I haven't ventured there except for one just to say I did. Keep'em coming.