PDA

View Full Version : easy grease removal

Tommy Curtiss
04-15-2003, 10:57 AM
I finally saved enough to get me a jointer, well in setting it up, the shipping grease is always a pain to remove.. I use acetone to get it off the fence then it was time for dinner,while standing their wiping the hand cleaner off my hands, complaining about the smell of the acetone,a bulb went off in my head!!!,I spread a liberal amount of hand cleaner on the bed of the jointer,let it set for about 5 min, then just wiped it all off, WORKED GREAT, I used the orange kind with pumice, the little scrubbers also helped with the thick spots,and the smell was much better..hope this helps someone,I know it's lot's easier on your hands and nose,and safer to boot!
:D

Ron Meadows
04-15-2003, 5:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that stuff have water in it? If so

water + cast iron = RUST!!!.

It would be awful to have a brand spakin' new tool with rust from one end to the other. It's bad enough when a little surface rust accumulates.

Be careful!!!

Ron

Tommy Curtiss
04-15-2003, 5:47 PM
yes it does have h20 in it,but afterwards,I waxed it, it was just a "non-toxic" way to remove to kosmoline from the cast surfaces

Phil Phelps
04-15-2003, 5:55 PM
I still think paint thinner is the best grease remover. Low oder and inexpensive.

John Wadsworth
04-16-2003, 9:22 AM
I usually reach for the mineral spirits for degreasing--for one thing, I keep a spray bottle of it handy.

Another view, though--When I bought my Agazzani bandsaw and kidded Jesse Barragan at Eagle Tools about all the degunking it needed, he told me that they use WD-40 when they unpack one for the showroom--his observation was that it's a better degreaser than lubricant.