PDA

View Full Version : A little of this and a little of that

Kathy Marshall
04-10-2011, 11:48 PM
It's been a busy weekend! Cold, rainy, wet day on Saturday, perfect weather for spending time in the shop (although sunny and warm works too :D ).

Decided to start the day off with a HF from an arborvitae log.
191080 191081
It's about 5" x 4 1/2" with just a coat of DO so far. I have to say this stuff cuts very nice, it's fairly soft but there was never any tearout. It cut so cleanly that I wouldn't have needed to sand except for some tool marks I left.

When I finished that one, I was going to start on a little mesquite HF, but there was still a pretty good sized chunk of waste wood left on the faceplate (as you can see it the 1st pick) and it would have been a waste to toss it, so I turned a little ring bowl.

Finished the ring bowl then decided I better work on some finishing before I started the mesquite HF. I had about 16 pieces in various stages of finish on the workbench :eek: . Added coats of finish to some, took some steel wool to others, then finally started on the mesquite, all I had time for was to rough out a blank and get the center drilled, then stopped for the night.

Back in the shop Sunday morning and finished up the mesquite (will post picks when the finish is done), then back to the finish work.
Here are a few that got to the buffing wheel.

Spalted Birch. These are from the same log, but were turned in different orientations. The one on the left was turned end grain (spindle orientation). Don't know that I'm wild about the form, but after cleaning up some punk and cracks I was left with a narrow top, so this is what I came up with. The piece on the left was turned face grain and I like this form much better, I also think it shows the spalting better. Finish is DO and WOP, then Beale buffed and Ren wax.

Olive. The one on the left is the 1st piece I turned from the load of olive I picked up. Wanted to do something quick just to see how the grain looked, so there's not much form to it. They're both finished with DO and WOP, then buffed and Ren wax. The one on the right was soaked in DO for 24 hours, then left in a ziplock bag for about a week which gave it a darker look. The pic doesn't show it very well, but it's kind of a grayish-brown, where the one on the left is lighter. The colors are a little truer in the 2nd pic.
191085 191087

I've also got a pic of the Pistachio HF finished , which I'll post in a reply with the original to show the color change from using the ziplock bag method.

Kathy Marshall
04-10-2011, 11:54 PM
The 1st pic is the original, the 2nd is after the finish is complete.

Thanks for looking!
As always, critiques and comments are welcome.

Dan Forman
04-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Looks like somebody has been busy, and with great results. Pretty amazing difference between the two spalted birch forms. Love that pistachio.

Hayes Rutherford
04-11-2011, 1:06 AM
You have been busy. My favorite ones are the Olive.

John Keeton
04-11-2011, 6:54 AM
Some really nice forms, Kathy, and interesting woods, too. I am still drawn to the Pistachio. Really cute ring bowl!

Michelle Rich
04-11-2011, 7:13 AM
when you slide down the slippery slope and were sucked in to the vortex, you went willingly, didn't you? No kicking & screaming from kathy. !!!! Amazing woods. Keep making eye candy for us!

John Hart
04-11-2011, 7:54 AM
Sounds like a fun weekend!! All are great! I really love the colors and form of the pistachio....just drop-dead beautiful :)

Terry Beadle
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
All I can say is WOW !

Great job !

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2011, 4:51 PM
Kathy - very impressive work on everything! Hard to single one turning out for commentary when you have so many nice ones in one thread! The Pistachio turned out really nice but I was drawn more to the spalted birch. I have turned a bunch of it and you sure captured it at the right time! Beautiful markings!

David DeCristoforo
04-11-2011, 5:17 PM
I "hate it" when people post fifteen pieces in one thread! It just takes too long to comment on every one. And I always feel like I have to pick a favorite. That's hard when they are all this nice. But, having lodged that complaint, I actually do have a favorite of this group, that being the Pistachio HF. The others are really nice but on that one you absolutely nailed the form. Makes me want to go out and chuck up some of my Pistachio and have a go at it.

Dennis Ford
04-11-2011, 7:41 PM
All of those are nice. You are doing some great work. The Pistachio HF is my favorite also.

Donny Lawson
04-11-2011, 9:47 PM
Extreamly nice workmanship. The last picture is Pistachio right???? If so it's beautiful. Great color design.

Baxter Smith
04-11-2011, 9:54 PM
Lots of nice ones but none hold a candle to that pistachio in form and color. I am still impressed every time I look at it!

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Those are all really nice Kathy. I do like the Olive and Pistachio.

Cathy Schaewe
04-12-2011, 9:39 AM
Just looking at those olive pieces gets me all excited, because of that gorgeous piece of olive you sent me! I love the look of that stuff. The pistachio is absolutely beautiful - you're doing a heck of a job!

Mark Hubl
04-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Busy, busy, busy. Very nice pieces. You are doing a great job with form. They all look great.

Michael James
04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Late to the party..sorry. That's a nice collection and that pistachio is off the hook! Keem em coming, girl!
mj

Kathy Marshall
04-13-2011, 1:16 AM
Thanks everyone!
I have to say, I agree, the Pistachio is my favorite of the bunch and probably of all the HFs I've done so far. Every time I pass by it, I have to stop and take a look. Probably won't get another like it out of the pistachio haul, even cut into blanks and anchor sealed it's cracking like crazy. Looks like I may just end up with a ton of pistachio pen blanks.